Dr. WatJohn's 3 cents on Radiant Barriers

  • archilogic
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 14, 2010
      (That's 2 cents CDN but I see in today's news that the Canadian dollar is currently worth more than the $US.)

      Some time ago on this list there was a thread on the utility of radiant barriers. In scanning this morning's email, I see a message from GreenBuildingAdvisor.com (
      a co-operative effort by the Taunton Press and Environmental Building News (Duck Foo'd's former bread/butter (or maybe it was nan/tahini ?) IIRC) ... with a hook line:

      " Are radiant barriers a waste of time?"

      and in the message:

      "HEAT FLOW AND HEALTH HAZARDS

      This week, visualize how heat leaks through walls in an interactive
      graphic from FineHomebuilding.com, and hear engineer John Straube
      explain how heat moves, in this week's 'Building Science
      Fundamentals' podcast."

      So there you go. Eh ?

      --
      === * ===
      Rob Tom
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 15, 2010
        On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 11:49:11 -0300, Athena & Bill Steen
        <absteen@...> wrote:

        > This assumes that I often can't find what I'm looking for, but the
        > question at the moment is "just exactly where is the link on the FHB
        > site to Doctor John's podcast?
        > On Apr 14, 2010, at 8:42 AM, archilogic wrote:
        >> I see a message from GreenBuildingAdvisor.com

        Yeah, I was a-feared that this question would pop up.

        I've never actually visited the GreenBuildingAdvisor.com site
        ... until now.

        And what do I see there, right on the front page, but a picture of the
        smiling face of the Listowel Truth-seeking Missile hisself, in the "From
        Our Blobs" sidebar. (Actually, that was a typo but the word "Blobs" seemed
        more amusing than the word "Blogs" so I didn't bother correcting it).

        And then when I click on the "How Heat Moves Through Homes" link adjacent
        to WatJohn's mugshot it takes me to the page of that title and right at
        the top of the page under

        " How Heat Moves Through Homes
        Space-age radiant barriers, like ceramic paints, work great in the vacuum
        of outer space, but here on Earth, heat moves by conduction, convection,
        and radiation, simultaneously, all the time.
        Posted on Apr 12 by John Straube"

        there's a button to click on that says " Download MP3 " .
        (I'm a-goin' to guess that that there's the aforementioned podcast ?)

        Me ? I'm not going to bother downloading it on this slow, rural dial-up
        connection (it'd likely take half a day) because I already know what I
        think of radiant barriers.

        But I did have a quick look-see further on down that page and see that one
        of those Building Science Corp rascals
        (not sure whether it was WatJohn or Joe) did have some words to say about
        the utility of radiant barriers and the miracle "ceramic paint used by
        NASA" etc.

        E-e-e-verybody's a comedian. (Or at least those two MooseHuggers are.)

        --
        === * ===
        Rob Tom
        Kanata, Ontario, Canada
        < A r c h i L o g i c at Y a h o o dot c a >
        (manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "Reply")
        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • JOHN SALMEN
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 15, 2010
          Did I miss a music of the sphericals concert with the ever loving NASA boys
          choir? I have seen the cape Breton miners sing - that's a show worth seeing.

          JOHN SALMEN ENVIRONMENTAL DESIGN
          4465 UPHILL RD,. DUNCAN, B.C. CANADA, V9L 6M7
          PH 250 748 7672 FAX 250 748 7612 CELL 250 246 8541
          terrain@...

          <absteen@...> wrote:

          > This assumes that I often can't find what I'm looking for, but the
          > question at the moment is "just exactly where is the link on the FHB
          > site to Doctor John's podcast?
          > On Apr 14, 2010, at 8:42 AM, archilogic wrote:
          >> I see a message from GreenBuildingAdvisor.com

          Yeah, I was a-feared that this question would pop up.

          I've never actually visited the GreenBuildingAdvisor.com site
          ... until now.

          And what do I see there, right on the front page, but a picture of the
          smiling face of the Listowel Truth-seeking Missile hisself, in the "From
          Our Blobs" sidebar. (Actually, that was a typo but the word "Blobs" seemed
          more amusing than the word "Blogs" so I didn't bother correcting it).

          And then when I click on the "How Heat Moves Through Homes" link adjacent
          to WatJohn's mugshot it takes me to the page of that title and right at
          the top of the page under

          " How Heat Moves Through Homes
          Space-age radiant barriers, like ceramic paints, work great in the vacuum
          of outer space, but here on Earth, heat moves by conduction, convection,
          and radiation, simultaneously, all the time.
          Posted on Apr 12 by John Straube"

          there's a button to click on that says " Download MP3 " .
          (I'm a-goin' to guess that that there's the aforementioned podcast ?)

          Me ? I'm not going to bother downloading it on this slow, rural dial-up
          connection (it'd likely take half a day) because I already know what I
          think of radiant barriers.

          But I did have a quick look-see further on down that page and see that one
          of those Building Science Corp rascals
          (not sure whether it was WatJohn or Joe) did have some words to say about
          the utility of radiant barriers and the miracle "ceramic paint used by
          NASA" etc.

          E-e-e-verybody's a comedian. (Or at least those two MooseHuggers are.)

          --
          === * ===
          Rob Tom
          Kanata, Ontario, Canada
          < A r c h i L o g i c at Y a h o o dot c a >
          (manually winnow the chaff from my edress if you hit "Reply")
          http://mail.yahoo.com

        • David Neeley
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 15, 2010
            I believe it is a mistake to dismiss radiant barriers for all
            applications, and that Mr. Straube was incorrect in writing an article
            which did not make the distinction between cold and warm climates.

            In fact, I just posted a response to his article as follows (Note that
            I did nto mention straw bale, as the article appeared to be
            considering conventional construction only):

            I know of no credible person in or out of the insulation industry who
            suggests putting a radiant barrier under concrete in contact with the
            ground. However, I read a study of very similar houses in Fort Worth,
            Texas, in which half had radiant barrier installed beneath the roof
            sheathing (facing the attic airspace) and half did not. On hot
            afternoons, the attics with the radiant barrier were approximately 40
            degrees F. cooler. (I wish I still had the reference to that study,
            but unfortunately it went with an untimely hard drive crash).
            As someone else said, tests have also been conducted by the Florida
            Solar Energy Center, probably the premiere institution studying hot
            weather environments and building technology. The Oak Ridge National
            Laboratory in Tennessee, too, has done studies on radiant barrier.
            In warm climates, a radiant barrier is quite often more cost-effective
            for attic installation than relatively small amounts of insulation
            being added. The U.S. government suggests they be considered as far
            North as New York City--so it stands to reason that our Canadian
            friends might consider them not cost-effective.
            For warm climates, too, a cool roof is strongly advisable--with the
            best being a bright white metal. Were I building back in Dallas, I
            would use both of these without question--and a relatively high level
            of conventional insulation in addition, most probably in the form of a
            foam such as isocyanurate if it is affordably obtained, or blown-in
            cellulose otherwise.
            There simply aren't many hard and fast rules that work in all
            climates--but this article said nothing about warm climate strategies.

            So, as I said in my response, those of you who live in the Great White
            North certainly should not bother with radiant barrier. Those enjoying
            life farther South should consider it--and those living in very hot
            climates should not neglect it, at least insofar as the attic is
            concerned.

            David