Re: DIY Water well drilling?

  • RT
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2008
      --- In SB-r-us@yahoogroups.com, "Erin" <thebackgate31@...> wrote:

      > So--personal well-drilling rigs-- are such things actually
      realistic?

      Erin;

      I'm more than a little sceptical that the personal well-drilling rigs
      like the one depicted in your first link would be workable in your
      situation (drilling through up to 100 ft of shale). I didn't look at
      the others.

      Some time ago (during the heepee era), my brother made a similar rig
      for one of his "back-to-the-land" friends who had purchased a wooded
      acreage in Quebec, in the hills around Meathook's (aka Norbert
      Senf's) neighbourhood.

      The drill worked fine when drilling through dirt or gravel.
      Unfortunately, in that area (and most of Canada for that matter), the
      substrata beneath the soil overburden is good, old ("ancient" or
      "prehistoric" to be more precise) granite.

      Slow-going and hard on (expensive) drill bits.

      I'd have to ask my brother at what depth his friend decided to
      abandon the DIY drilling rig.

      That being said, if you still have people in your area who use cable
      drilling rigs (as opposed to the faster air-powered rigs) go with the
      cable rig. What it does is create fissures in the rock surrounding
      the hole (due to the impact of the pounding) which helps to increase
      flow of groundwater towards the well.

      The air-powered drills which just bore a hole through the rock
      without any of the pounding (hence no additional fissures) also tend
      to clog up the bore hole with the grit/fines generated by the boring
      process, ultimately reducing flows to the well.

      (This is info related to me by a hydrogeological engineer/consultant
      who was retained by the municipality to assess the groundwater
      situation in this Ward and with which the well drillers agree.)

      And I should probably also mention that it's probably not a good idea
      to stop drilling at the first water table that you hit. The second
      water table will likely yield cleaner water.

      Nor is it a good idea to drill extremely deep wells if the first
      water tableS yield only low flow rates. It's highly likely that the
      deep wells will yield saline water (from remnants of prehistoric
      seas). Or at least that's the situation around here where some multi-
      $million$ properties just a couple of concession roads over from me
      who have a lake within view on one side and the Ottawa River on the
      other side, are drilling 800 and 1200 ft wells through granite, only
      to get just a trickle of saline water.

      === * ===
      Rob Tom
      Kanata, Ontario, Canada
      < A r c h i L o g i c at chaffY a h o o dot c a >
      manually winnow the chaff from my edress in your reply