Re: [SB-r-us] Re: Convection Air Conditioning

  • T. Gerdes
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 30, 2007
      I have also heard of the Indians (in India) using a shallow pan of water in the windows and doorways that had a piece of burlap or similar loosely woven fabric covering the opening. The fabric would wick up the water and as a breeze blew through the window or door, the evaporation would cool the home.

      RT <archilogic@...> wrote: --- In SB-r-us@yahoogroups.com, "LC" <azhaar82604@...> wrote:

      > Apparently, he said, when wet, a slight breeze blowing over the
      > damp sand and gravel would cool the tent markedly.

      Cindy;

      My location in snow-covered/overcast Kanata, Ontario, Canada of
      course makes me extremely knowledgable about cooling in the deserts
      of Iraq. [[PAUSE] while Murricans in the US SW roll their eyes w-a-a-
      ay back in their heads]

      The sensation of cooling is felt when air moving past our bodies
      carries away the moisture (aka "sweat") into which excess heat was
      dumped and transpired though our pores.

      That's one of the reasons why many desert dwellers (in the days
      before mechanical air-condtioning ) wore heavyweight black garments
      that entirely enshrouded their bodies from head to toe despite their
      living in environments devoid of natural shade and where the sun beat
      down mercilessly.

      The black shroud created a portable macro environment that was in
      effect, a solar chimney that induced air movement to effect
      evaporative cooling ... which sounds like what is being attempted
      with the rings of wet sand and gravel + fan, but in a seemingly
      curious (to a Kanatan) fashion.

      === * ===
      Rob Tom
      Kanata, Ontario, Canada
      < A r c h i L o g i c at chaffY a h o o dot c a >
      manually winnow the chaff from my edress in your reply