Re: [SB-r-us] cement stucco (was 2' Overhangs (was newbie and...)

  • cyclestore@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2003
      I too, have been concerned about the weather and it's effects on the
      different exteriors living in the South. Maybe it's just unusual weather, or
      maybe it's me just being a worrywart, but we seem to average at least 2 to 3
      hurricanes and numerous tornadoes, thunder storms and the like every year.
      Just last week it was ice on Sunday, snow on Monday, warm and a tornado on
      Wednesday and more ice by Friday. I would venture to say that we get more
      sideways rain than most other areas. With all the bad weather, I've been
      able to get out and do some snooping around the county and found several old
      houses that have been stuccoed. These houses have been abandoned but I was
      able to talk with the property owner of one. The house was built before 1962
      as that was when they purchased the land and the house was already abandoned
      at that time. He said that all the houses were built by the same person
      (thus the reason they all look alike), small, about 600 sq. ft. and no
      pluming, there were signs of electricity having been installed, probably at a
      later time. They all had the same color finish and the same stucco which was
      troweled on. He was sure it was cement. I should have broke off a piece to
      examined but didn't think of it at the time. The remarkable thing is, the
      finish still looks good. It is the only part if the structure still intact,
      as the roof has fallen in and one corner has suffered a fire. The outside of
      that corner shows no sign of damage. Well, I don't know what it is, or how
      this will integrate with straw, but it is long lasting.

      Just my 2 cents worth,

      Susan Merritt
    • moutain stream
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 7, 2003
        Cordrym,

        Earthen plasters tend to pull water out of a bale wall system and give
        it off to the air. The humidity in Ga. will slow the process down at
        certain time throughout the year. On the other hand cement stucco tends
        to hold water in the bale and can even pull water into the wall system.
        It will crack and driving rains will push moister into those cracks and
        into your wall system. Properly applied clay plasters will not crack
        over time, mainly due to the fact that clay plaster tend to be less
        rigged.

        Cement is very high in embodied energy compared to clay based plasters!

        Tim W.