Santa Clarita's SB Transit Maintenance Facility

  • Chris Green
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2007
      ArchitectureWeek's online magazine, has an article about the Santa
      Clarita, CA's Transit Maintenance Facility, which has SB infill walls.
      This is a fairly large structure. The pages the article is on are dated
      May 30th, 2007, so I assume this is also a current article.

      http://www.architectureweek.com/2007/0530/environment_2-1.html

      > "Straw-bale construction may be a rediscovered technology," says HOK's
      > senior project manager Charles Smith, "but it is appropriate and
      > sustainable by today's standards. When combined with more recent
      > technologies such as under-floor air distribution, high-performance
      > glazing, and daylighting — as it is in this project — it can be part
      > of a powerful strategy for creating an energy- and resource-efficient
      > building. We were able to exceed California Energy Efficiency
      > Standards by over 40 percent."
      The building will also be an ongoing laboratory for studying moisture
      content (although I doubt moisture will be much of a problem in Santa
      Clarita...)
      > Building systems are electronically monitored 24 hours a day for
      > comfort and efficiency by a digital control system. The straw-bale
      > walls are continuously monitored for moisture content.
      Note that viewing most of the full-sized images accompanying the article
      requires a paid subscription.

      Cheers,

      Chris Green.