Re: Clay plaster followed by lime

  • Chug
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2007
      Hi David

      all clay is not equal so testing is the order of the day, try some
      different mixes smeared on bales with differnt ratios of sand and
      clay, too much clay will crack badly, too much sand will powder, you
      can also smear some on your arm for the same test, too much clay will
      crack badly, too much sand will powder, aslo drop a golf ball size
      lump from shoulder height, it should stay as a lump but flatten out
      and not fall apart, or roll a peice out the diameter of a pencil a few
      inches long and try to join the ends in a circle.

      As for application, my experience finds earthen render sticks better
      to bales than lime render, and lime render sticks better to earthen
      render than it does to bales, I do not wet the bales before applying
      as I find this makes it slide around rather than sticking, but I do
      like to mist the walls in between coats.

      Chug
      chug@...
      www.strawbale-building.co.uk/
      --- In SB-r-us@yahoogroups.com, "deoatway" <deoatway@...> wrote:

      > Hi
      >
      > I'm a newbie here so hello, and here's my question:
      >
      > I'm finally)about to finish prepping and start rendering a small (14'
      > x 20') straw bale building in the UK, that as consequence of being a
      > first attempt does not have perfect (flat)walls (but structurally its
      > good).
      >
      > A neighbour was having some building work done so I've taken loads of
      > the clay she dug up (perhaps 15 barrow-loads) so we've decided to
      > start off filling the gaps with a clay/sand/chopped straw mix and
      > moving onto the scratch coat with a slightly sandier mix. Then we'll
      > review the quantity of clay left before moving on....
      >
      > Then we intend to spray on at least another coat, using lime render
      > to reduce the impact of the British climate.
      >
      > Does anyone have any tips/wisdom on the following:
      >
      > 1. sand/clay/straw ratios for a cob-mix for gaps
      > 2. Putting lime onto clay coat
      > 3. Wetting the straw before applying clay render/cob mixes in gaps
      > 4. Wetting between coats - especially between the lime-onto-clay coat
      >
      > Ideas/accounts of experiences gratefully received thanks!
      >
      > David

    • David Oatway
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2007
        Hi Chug

        Many thanks for the feedback - that's really helpful &
        encouraging. I was going to email you about this
        anyway (I've corresponded with you before from a
        different email address re a workshop/annex I'm
        building (or rather have built) in Cambridge.

        Thanks, I'll experiment away....

        David

        http://mail.yahoo.com