16336Re: [SB-r-us] Re: straw bale project philippines?

  • Kyle Holzhueter
    Jan 14, 2014
      In the literature, rice straw is often reported as being the most resistant to decay.  However, in Japan, generally wheat straw has a higher C:N ratio than rice straw, and is also know to be more resistant to decay.  I'm not sure if this is inherent in the straw, or is a result some other factors such as differences in fertilizer application, cultivation methods, growing season, time of harvest, or post harvest handling.  When comparing rice and wheat straw bales from the same baler and operator, though at different times of year, the rice straw bales tend to be denser, heavier, have a higher water content, and settle less under compression.

      Kyle Holzhueter  PhD (Bioresource Sciences)
      Nihon University, Graduate School of Bioresource Sciences
      Architectural and Regional Ecological Design Studio
      1866 Kameino Fujisawa Kanagawa 252-0880 Japan

      カイル・ホルツヒューター 博士(生物資源科学)
      日本大学大学院 生物資源科学研究科
      〒252-0880 神奈川県藤沢市亀井野1866

      TEL/FAX: 0466-84-3364
      Mobile: 080-3477-9841

      On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 2:01 PM, Nancy or David Gray <ndgray@...> wrote:

      John, I have wondered about this.  Rice straw has garnered so much cachet because it
      contains high silica and is supposed to resist decay because of that.  Still, when I have had
      occasion to use it, it is like grass hay....floppy and formless and quite squishable.
      Oat and wheat straw perform more like bricks in my admittedly limited experience.  I have
      never had to test their drying out capabilities.
      Have you ever had the chance to compare oat straw?  David G.