16327Re: [SB-r-us] straw bale project philippines?

  • Heinrick Bratton
    Jan 13, 2014
      thanks for the info mr. john glassford..im going to check if there is a rotary club chapter in marinduque island,phils..hope there is one so maybe you and them cant talk about a project..im also heard about shelter box projects in the phils...and for that i am very grateful..:)

      their are a lot of countries helping our impoverished country..helping us in every way they can,there are a lot of rural families without homes in the rural areas in the provinces..and we have one abundant commodity...its rice straw..only being burned after harvest season,,,if countries will teach and train us to build such houses it will not only give us a roof about our heads to secure our families...it will also restore our dignity as well..i pray someday it would happen..the filipino people must learn not to rely in dole outs but to learn new technologies which we can put into good use...

      Im thankful for your advise..

      May God bless your family

      On Sunday, January 12, 2014 1:14 AM, John Glassford <jacksflat@...> wrote:
      G ' day Heinrick

      I emphasize with you mate.  I have many friends in The Philippines through Rotary and we have often discussed straw bale homes for your country of 1000 islands.

      The biggest problem we have come up with is the availability of straw bales in the first place.  If you are able to get good straw bales then I see no problems in building in your climate of high humidity and monsoon like rains not to mention the recent typhoon.

      In areas were typhoons or earthquakes have hit Rotary sends in Shelter Boxes as a temporary measure.  What we are looking at is a permanent shelter solution and I am advocating for the use of straw bales.  Now Heinrick if you are in the vicinity of a Rotary club please contact them and ask them to contact me.

      We have built straw bale homes in high humidity areas of Australia with high rain fall with few problems.  Mostly using our hybrid method of bale walls.

      The above building is a simple design that may suit your climate.  It has an earthen floor, uses corrugated iron for the roof and has good ventilation.  The foundation is a simple 150 mm concrete bond beam.  Using say 3 pods of this design you can get a low cost home that functions well for a family.

      Now the way to prevent degradation of the bales due to high humidity is first of all to have good eaves all round or verandahs.  You do not need passive heating but passive cooling for your country.   Now the most important part is the rendering.  In high rainfall high humidity I would use lime and sand.

      We use a hydrated plaster lime and a rough sand for the 1st two coats then a fine sand for the finish.  Lime renders will work well with high humidity and do so in our experience with zero degradation of the straw.  We have plenty of straw bale homes now that have experienced torrential rainfall in the sub-tropics of Queensland.

      I wish you well with your project and dream keep it simple keep it small and keep the bales dry at all times, above all keep dreaming mate as you can only go as high as your dreams.

      First of all find the bales and let us know how you get along.

      Kind regards
      The Straw Wolf
      Huff 'n' Puff Constructions
      61 2 6927 6027