16325RE: [SB-r-us] Re: straw bale project philippines?

  • wolbirdhaveninc
    Jan 11, 2014

      Hello. My name is De.  I am new here. I am the executive Director of a Bird Rescue Facility in North Central Texas. Can anyone tell me if there is anyone in the Texas area that is knowledgeable of doing many of the different types of “natural” processes such as straw or cob houses, earthen flooring, rocket mass heating etc. We are wanting to build a new building for the birds and make it as
      Natural and Earth Friendly as possible. We are wanting to go as natural as possible- however as always money is an issue. We are hoping to find someone in the state that would work with us on doing a workshop so that we can pay for their help and still get people to come and help while learning the different tasks for their own future need. I know these types of workshops have been done all over
      http://naturalhomes.org/usa-naturalhomes.htm

      the world but just can’t seem to find a “connection” with someone that is close to us. I’m having a really hard time here in Texas finding someone that can help. Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated.

      Just so you’ll know we actually already have the building. The building has been purchased but is not erected yet. It is 25 x 30 and will be divided in half making 2 15 x 25 rooms with a door connecting them two.  My current plan (or at least thought) is to build the parameter with concrete and then make the floor out of an earthen material. We are really needing to “pick someone’s brain” or several someones for that matter… to get someone to help us decide on several different topics.

      First… would love to have an earthen floor, however need to know more about how to clean/disinfect it. My thoughts currently are to use straw underneath the cages and just gather it up weekly… and wipe down the floors underneath. As for cleaning the actual cages we would build one area in a corner of the building (say 5’ x 5”) to roll the cages into that is totally waterproof such as shower stall walls. Here is where the cages will be power-washed.

      Second concern is what the walls should be made with. I know we will have to insulate but what is best for us to use. What type of inside walls should we use? We would love to be able to do some type of a mud/straw wall but don’t know if this would be moisture resistant enough.

      Thirdly what is the best way to heat this building? We are in North Central Texas. Best temperature range for us to keep the building at is between 70-80 degree. How can this be done in weather that is 10 degrees outside. The other issue is that we do more often than I’d like to admit have power outages. Is it feasible to do solar powered for this? What about a rocket mass heater? Would this be safe for the birds?

      Lastly what about cooling. My first thought is to just put in a swamp cooler however most of what I read say that these don’t work well in Texas. Birds LOVE the humidity and AC is actually not very healthy since it dries the air out, however will the swamp cooler cool enough and also will it produce too much moisture for the walls/floors if they are earthen material?

      So that’s it in a nutshell… type of floor, type of walls, type of heating and type of cooling.

      Anyone that has any ideas please feel free to contact us.

      De

      www.bird-haven.org

      From: "strawboss" <strawboss94@...>
      To: SB-r-us@yahoogroups.com