16320Re: [SB-r-us] Re: straw bale project philippines?

  • Katy Blanchard
    Jan 11, 2014
      We put up our roof first then stored the bales under it. Then we wrapped the whole house with plastic (we were lucky to be gifted a whole bunch) and spent all last winter stacking. The bales stayed wonderfully dry. Now they have two coats of earthen plaster on them and are awaiting spring for their final coat.

      You can see what we have been doing at www.otrabandanm.blogspot.com

      On Jan 11, 2014, at 1:41 PM, <cgwoods@...> <cgwoods@...> wrote:

      Amen!  We have stacked bales that have been tarped for a very long time. As Lady says, just keep them dry with tarps (www.tarps.com) or plastic, being careful to make sure all the bales are covered while still in piles and also once stacked for walls. You can see some tarped bales that are stacked for the walls at www.builtbyhandstrawbale.com.  Pay special attention to the walls/stacks that are on the side where your weather blows moisture the most when it rains (your “weather wall”).
      A good book to get you started—and there are several good ones if you do a “strawbale” search at Amazon.com, is Bruce King, et al, DESIGN OF STRAW BALE BUILDINGS.  We find this to be an especially good reference.
      From: "strawboss" <strawboss94@...>
      To: SB-r-us@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2014 16:22:13 GMT