Swing Dancers Info - Veteran's Day Dinner & Hangar Dance San Marcos 2011

  • Nathan Malone
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2011
    Dancers:

    The Annual San Marcos Hangar Dance is coming up.  This is one of the highlights of the dance calendar every year.  If you want to go, please buy your ticket directly from Alison Ender with the Commerative Air Force (CAF).  When you speak to her, please let her know that you want to sit in the swing dance group tables.   We are doing this rather than having each dance organization buy their own tables (the Austin Swing Syndicate, San Antonio Swing Dance Society, et al).

    If you are going, please buy your ticket sooner rather than later.

    Please contact Alison Ender, 512-396-0765 or you can email her at aender@...

    Nathan

    Below, I have copied the text from the Flyer and also included the text of Alison's promotional email earlier this week.

    Annual CAF Veteran’s Day Dinner & 40’s Swing Band Hangar Dance

    Saturday, November 12, 2011

    Centex Hangar at the

    San Marcos, Texas Airport

    $40/person – Reserve Tables $400

    VIP  Reserve  Tables  Available

    fronting  the  Dance  Floor $500

    Dinner at 6-7:30pm, Dancing at 7:30-11pm

    Dance Contest and Bucket Raffle

    The Sentimental Journey Orchestra

    playing 40's Big Band Swing music

    BYOB – Beer, Wine & Setups Available

    (no ice chests allowed)

    For Tickets and Reservations contact:

    CAF CenTex Wing Hangar at 396-1943

    See the great photos on our website @

    www.centexwing.com

    See our great dance photo books at

    2008:   http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/449916

    2009:   http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1265912

    2010:   http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1930563

     For more information call:

    Alison Ender

    (512) 396-0765

    aender@...

    So, what's so great about our dinner and hangar dance?

       The San Marcos Centex Wing of the Commemorative Air Force is located in the only WWII aircraft hangar left standing on the old Edward Gary Army Training Base in operation during WWII.

         For visitors to enjoy in the hangar . . .  a PX, Museum, Officer's Club, Library and a hangar full of WWII aircraft all of which are still in flying condition.  The Yellow Rose B-25 and the only flying P-39 in the world are among them.  Others include T-6, T-34, U-3, Yak, Kate, Zero replica and a small Liaison airplane (L4-Cub).  Liaison aircraft of various types and sizes were used in WWII to spot targets, drop supplies and fly wounded out.

         The airplanes are pulled out of the hangar to make room for the dance inside but are available on static display for the many visitors attending the evening's event.  Many guests (most in WWII era dress, both military and civilian) enjoy having their photograph taken in front of the nose art of the Yellow Rose B-25 bomber beautifully spotlighted in front of the big hangar.

         Live Big Band  -  Without question (or argument) the Sentimental Journey Orchestra of Kerrville , Texas  conducted by Ted Conerly is the most authentic WWII era Swing Orchestra sound in Texas and surrounding.  Dressed in WWII attire the group is a 16-piece orchestra that performs a repertoire of the big bands' greatest hits. They have performed for former President George Bush, to sold-out crowds throughout Texas, have been featured in Texas Highways Magazine and have been called, "the best thing to come out of the Hill Country" by the San Antonio Express News.

        The evening will also include a dance contest along with some of the best catered BBQ in Central Texas.  Lots of refreshing beverages on hand . . . Beer, wine and set ups available.

         Held on each Veterans Day weekend, we celebrate and remember all the brave men and women who gave us our freedom.

        Our hangar dance promises to bring to our guests an absolutely authentic as possible WWII USO Dance experience!

    Photo found on the Sentimental Journey website. Visit the excellent gallery (a little plug, there) on their site at http://www.sjoswing.com.

    See Texas Monthly’s little video as our Dinner Dance gets underway:

    http://www.texasmonthly.com/multimedia/video/home/14565