FW: Archaeology Job search Listserv

  • Ann Popplestone
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2 6:49 PM
      From: R. Joe Brandon [SMTP:rjoe@...]
      Sent: Saturday, May 01, 1999 7:02 PM
      To: ANTHRO-L@...
      Subject: Archaeology Job search Listserv

      ---Apologies for cross postings on archaeology lists---
      ---commentst to: shovelbums@...---

      If you are an administator associated with archaeologists (students or professional)
      looking for field work, please post or e-mail this message to interested
      parties (dept. anthropology student lists, personal archaeology friends
      network, etc.)

      This list is for anyone who understands what it means to be a modern
      field archaeologist, and for those looking to find out. We are known as
      "shovelbums" by friends and family. We move from state to state
      (literally and figuratively) following the cash cow pipelines or saving
      up to go and work on those great digs, you know the ones with great
      archaeology, lots of satisfaction, but little pay.

      I learned when starting in the 80's that finding jobs has traditionally
      been via your personal networks of friends in the field using
      telephone, letters, and as of late web resources. The Shovelbums list
      serves to streamline and compliment that whole process, taking advantage of
      the nearly ubiquitous access we all have to e-mail. Now when someone knows
      of a project, anywhere, with the word out for hires, this is the place to
      announce or find it, and it comes right to your mailbox.

      To subscribe to shovelbums you can either point your browser to:

      http://www.onelist.com/subscribe/shovelbums

      Or send one of the following messages via e-mail:

      shovelbums-subscribe@onelist.com - subscribe to list
      shovelbums-digest@onelist.com - switch to digest delivery
      shovelbums-normal@onelist.com - switch to normal delivery

      While this list is just for job postings I also maintain two other
      archaoelogy lists For more entertaining disuccsions of field life,
      and tales of companies subscribe to the shovelbums_gossip at

      http://www.onelist.com/subscribe/shovelbums_gossip

      and for field school announcements use the shovelbums_bc

      http://www.onelist.com/subscribe/shovelbums_bc ---and---