Seeking Contributors for Open Access Textbook

  • Nina Brown
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1 3:00 PM

      Hello everyone,

      Are you tired of the long lazy days of summer? Looking for a  worthwhile project to brighten up the CV before the students return in the fall? I hope you will consider contributing to the SACC open access anthropology textbook. In the past year, the project has made a lot of progress and we have several chapters in production. However, we still need authors for some topics. More information about the project and the chapters in need of authors is below. I am happy to answer any questions.

      Nina

      (CC of Baltimore County)

      CALL FOR BOOK CHAPTERS

      Open Access Anthropology Textbook

      As the costs associated with higher education continue to rise, many colleges and universities are investigating the potential of joining the Open Educational Resources movement, which promotes the creation and use of high-quality instructional materials that can be offered to students free of charge. Currently, the field of cultural anthropology is taught primarily with commercial textbooks that can be prohibitively expensive for students. Thus, there is a need for a comprehensive open access textbook.

      The Society for Anthropology in Community Colleges proposes to create a high-quality peer reviewed introductory textbook in cultural anthropology that will be available to faculty and students free of charge. The textbook, which will be available online, will cover the major topics relevant to an introductory course and will include interactive digital resources.

      Interested contributors please send an outline for consideration by email to Nina Brown, no later than September 12, 2014 (NBrown2@...). Submissions should also include a short 1-2 page CV (include writing experience and/or fieldwork). Please also provide your email, institutional address, and contact number.  If you would like to propose a co-authored chapter, please provide information for all of the authors.

      Seeking authors for the following chapters:

      • What is Anthropology?
      • Applied Anthropology
      • Subsistence
      • Economics