Ethnography articles

  • Victoria Springer
    Message 1 of 13 , May 22 9:51 AM
      Hi,
      I know that there have been discussions of ethnographies to assign here before, but I was wondering if anyone has suggestions of short articles that are easily readable and provide good culture description, aside from Nacirema, which is already on my list.
      Thanks!
      Victoria Springer
      Troy University Montgomery
    • Anthony Balzano
      Message 2 of 13 , May 22 9:55 AM

        Are you interested in any particular cultural area?

        Anthony Balzano, Ph.D.

        Professor of Anthropology & Sociology

        Dept. of Social Sciences & History

        Sussex County (NJ) Community College

        1 College Hill Rd.

        Newton, NJ 07860 (U.S.)

        abalzano@...

        fonddesblancs2010@...

        SKYPE: anthonybalzano

        SCCC Office: 973-300-2177

        Cell: 973-271-7680

          Message 4 of 13 , May 22 10:46 AM
            "Shakespeare in the Bush" is always great -funny and attention grabbing, familiar and different enough to make the point, and also a little British vs American culture.
                 There is a a recent film about 'Bride Kidnapping in Krygisatn' which has a number of articles, as well as recent journalistic accounts- that give a more nuanced approach to a disturbing topic.
                I like having students read 'Poor Man, Rich Man, Big Man, Chief" by Marshall Sahlins ( and then watch 'Ongkas Big Moka").
            Just a couple

            Message 5 of 13 , May 22 10:51 AM

              Shakespeare in the Bush is indeed great – you may find, though, that some students need a refresher on Shakespeare’s version to truly appreciate the twists….

              Message 6 of 13 , May 22 11:20 AM
                Shakespeare in the Bush is one of my favs.
                Suz :)

                Suzanne Baldon's iPhone

                By words the mind is winged. -Aristophanes, dramatist 📖✈

                  Message 8 of 13 , May 22 9:09 PM
                    Hi Victoria!

                    Here are some that I like to use in my Intro to Cultural class. I get them from a small edited volume by Ferraro but you might be able to find them online.

                    M. McFate, “Anthropology and Counterinsurgency” (the role of anthropologists embedded in the military Human Terrain Teams)
                    Deborah Tannen, “Rapport-talk and Report-Talk” (gendered language)
                    Serena Nanda, “Arranging a Marriage in India” (marriage, ethnocentrism)
                    E. Friedl, “Society and Sex Roles” (male dominance in subsistence societies due to control of meat distribution)
                    George Gmelch, “Baseball Magic” (baseball rituals, taboos and fetishes)
                  • Anthropmor
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 23 7:51 AM
                      I always use the Gmelch article in fall- I like to assign it during the play offs!
                      Mike Pavlik

                      Here are some that I like to use in my Intro to Cultural class. I get them from a small edited volume by Ferraro but you might be able to find them online.

                      M. McFate, “Anthropology and Counterinsurgency” (the role of anthropologists embedded in the military Human Terrain Teams)
                      Deborah Tannen, “Rapport-talk and Report-Talk” (gendered language)
                      Serena Nanda, “Arranging a Marriage in India” (marriage, ethnocentrism)
                      E. Friedl, “Society and Sex Roles” (male dominance in subsistence societies due to control of meat distribution)
                      George Gmelch, “Baseball Magic” (baseball rituals, taboos and fetishes)

                      And anything food related by Marvin Harris, especially "The Riddle of the Sacred Cow" and "The Abominable Pig" (religious food taboos from a cultural materialist perspective).

                      Hope this helps!

                      Laura

                        Message 11 of 13 , May 23 5:50 PM
                          RE: [SACC-L] Ethnography articles

                          You can access articles like these in Applied Cultural Anthropology (Paperback), A. Podolesky (Author) or some other reader, there are a few available.

                        • Beverly Bennett
                          Message 12 of 13 , May 23 8:49 PM
                            I have a couple types of suggestions.  First I thought of Geertz and some of his descriptions, which might be excerpted from their articles of origin since you're looking mainly for description.  The description of the disrupted Javanese funeral in "Ritual and Social Change: A Javanese Example" should be fairly readable in itself; that portion is about ten pages, and seems likely to catch students' interest.  Or there is the four-page description of the Balinese cockfight in the middle of "Deep Play: Notes on the Balinese Cockfight".

                            An excellent source for short, readable articles is Ken Kensinger's collection How Real People Ought to Live: The Cashinahua of Eastern Peru.  The first chapter describes his experience in learning the language and communication system of the Cashinahua and might work for your purposes; it's six pages.  The chapter on food taboos could work.  And there are a number of other possible candidates in this volume.  Ken Kensinger was a wonderful anthropologist and, more, a wonderful person.  He is sorely missed.

                            Best wishes,
                            Beverly

                            Message 13 of 13 , May 23 9:12 PM
                              Victoria,

                              This isn't exactly what you are asking for, but...

                              If your institution is able and willing to subscribe to the electronic Human Relations Area Files (World Cultures) database, you may want to consider that. This subscription allows access to a wide range of ethnographic records of various sorts, including some off-beat formats. I used it with my community college students when I was teaching, and they were often amazed by the content and the research capabilities.

                              Check out, http://hraf.yale.edu/

                              Deborah Shepherd