Burlington, VT Program DRAFT

  • <dianne.chidester@...>
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 8, 2014
      Hi, All!

      Ann Bragdon has done a terrific job of putting together our SACCfest program. I've attached a draft. I'm still receiving abstracts and will get those added in this coming weekend, but I wanted to get the basics out to everyone.

      Thanks, Ann, for putting together this experience for us.

      See you there!

      Dianne

      Dianne Lynn Chidester, Assistant Professor

      Anthropology & Sociology

      Greenville Technical College

      P.O. Box 5616, MS 1042

      Greenville, SC 29607

    • <dianne.chidester@...>

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 8, 2014
          I forgot that SACC-l doesn't allow attachments. Now it looks like an even rougher draft! -- Dianne

          Society for Anthropology in Community Colleges Annual Meeting
          Burlington, Vermont – April 23-26, 2014
          Transformative Intersections, Processes, and Teaching - Food for Thought
          HILTON BURLINGTON +1 802 859 5037 60 Battery Street Burlington VT 05401
          Wednesday, April 23, 2014
          3 – 5 p.m SACC Board Meeting
          5 – 7 p.m. Registration
          6 p.m. Reception
          Thursday, April 24, 2014
          Registration 7:45 a.m.
          8:15 Welcome. Meeting Begins.
          9:00 Papers/Panels
          10:30 Break
          11:00a Papers/Panels
          Lunch 12:30 p.m.
          12:45 – 2 p.m. Business Meeting:
          2 p.m. Program at the ECHO museum (just down the hill – 5 minute walk.)
          http://echovermont.org/ and visiting exhibits on own.
          2:30 Frederick Wiseman will meet conference attendees at the front desk and lead a guided tour of the Native Connection exhibits
          3:00 Fred will break off to set-up for his program, the group can continue to explore ECHO's exhibits
          3:30 Conference attendees will meet in Lakeside Hall for the program
          “Indigenous Agricultural Renewal in the Upper Connecticut River Valley: Seeds, to Ceremony, to Cuisine” with Frederick Wiseman and Melody Walker of Champlain College
          5:00 Early Supper on own
          7:30 – 9 p.m. Movie Reception: “We Are Still Here”. (Language Revitalization)
          Introduction and Discussion with Linda Light
          Friday, April 25, 2014
          8:15 – Papers/Panels.
          10:45 Break
          11 a.m. Guest Speaker – Food, Migration, and the Other Border Dr. Mares will discuss her ongoing ethnographic research on the food security and food access strategies of Latino/a migrant dairy workers in Vermont. This research has developed alongside an applied food access project called Huertas (Spanish for kitchen garden). Huertas works to install kitchen gardens with Latino/a farmworkers living and working Vermont’s dairies, with the goal of increasing access to more localized and culturally appropriate sources of food. Through this project, Dr. Mares has gained insight into the multiple and often contradictory barriers that migrant workers encounter when accessing food in rural areas of the state and the complex negotiations they engage to access, prepare, and share food. This presentation will share some of these insights.
          Teresa Mares, Ph.D. is an Assistant Professor of Anthropology at the University of Vermont and is affiliated with the Transdisciplinary Research Initiative in Food Systems. She received her Ph.D. (2010) in Sociocultural Anthropology from the University of Washington. Dr. Mares’s research focuses on the intersection of food and migration studies, and she is particularly interested in the ways that the diets and foodways of Latino/a immigrants change as a result of migration. She is currently developing a new study examining food security and food access among Latino/a dairy workers in Vermont.
          12:00 Lunch
          12:30 – Keynote Luncheon Speaker "Community Colleges as Sites for Critical Applied Anthropology" Jean J. Schensul, Ph. D. Senior Scientist and Founding Director Institute for Community Research www.incommunityresearch.org
          1:30 Round-table led by J. Schensul: Further the discussion
          Applying Anthropology, Educational Institutions, College Experiences and Student Organizations
          Liz Heun - Medical Content Developer for 14 years (currently writer Aps for a diagnostic software company called Sharecare). Prior to that, a public health nurse, a nurse epidemiologist, and continues to teach nursing and medical students physical assessment skills. BA in Anthropology from Middlebury College; Bachelors in nursing from Columbia.
          “I have never regretted my Anthro roots, and I believe wholeheartedly that without them, my nursing career would have either faltered or taken a different direction. I use the research methods I learned and apply the rigor in scientific writing in my current work and when I was publishing articles on infectious disease epidemiology when I worked as a nurse epidemiologist. As a nurse and an instructor I find that I apply themes from cultural anthropology particularly in understanding how culture informs human behavior, and how social norms determine how we frame our definitions of health and disease.”
          Maria Straus: Houston Community College Director of Educational Initiatives "Building Anthropology Programs in Community Colleges".
          2:00 p.m. Panels/Papers
          4 p.m. Introducing The Vermont Abenaki Artists/ and Author.
          3 p.m. Vendor Set Up??
          Author Trudy Parker http://www.ipl.org/div/natam/bin/browse.pl/A243
          http://www.grailmedia.com/wz1/ring/dawnland.html
          The Vermont Abenaki Artists Association
          Website : http://abenakiart.org/home
          Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vermont-Abenaki-Artists-Association/625749474142062
          Jessee Lawyer - soapstone carving, pipes & necklaces (Jessee is an apprentice)
          https://www.facebook.com/flintrivertraditions
          Takara Mathews - Beadwork
          Website: http://WAbenakiStylez.com Facebook: W'Abenaki Stylez
          Lina Longtoe - Photography (Native themed)
          Website: Askawobi Productions YouTube: Lina Longtoe Channel Facebook: facebook.com/askawobi
          Twitter: Twitter.com/askawobi
          Vera Longtoe Sheehan - Twined bags, baskets & jewelry.
          Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TwinedBags
          Website: Twined Bags & Baskets
          6:30 p.m. Dinner on Own.
          Saturday, April 26, 2014
          Tour Itinerary – planned with assistance of Giovanna Peebles (Vt. State Archaeologist)
          Board bus at 8:00.
          1. Barre - Vermont Archaeological Center http://accd.vermont.gov/strong_communities/preservation/education/archaeology/heritage
          2. Vt. Historical Center http://vermonthistory.org/
          3. Lunch from Bristol Café
          4. Chimney Point – interpretive tour by State Archaeologist
          http://historicsites.vermont.gov/directory/chimney_point
          4. Shelburne Farms – Producing and Educating for Sustainability http://www.shelburnefarms.org/about
          5:30 p.m. Return to Hotel
          6:30 p.m. “Vermont Special Buffet” Dinner in Hotel
          Keynote Presentation: "Anthropology, Food and the Future of Agriculture."
          Richard Robbins - SUNY Distinguished Teaching Professor in Anthropology Teaching interests include courses on global problems, utopian societies, Indigenous peoples of North America, comparative religion, and activist anthropology. He has conducted research among Indigenous peoples of Canada and fishing communities in Northeastern New Brunswick. Ph. D., University of North Carolina; M.A., New York University; B.A., Rutgers University.
          9:45 p.m. Adieu, adieu

          Dianne Lynn Chidester, Assistant Professor

          Anthropology & Sociology

          Greenville Technical College

          P.O. Box 5616, MS 1042

          Greenville, SC 29607

          Ann Bragdon has done a terrific job of putting together our SACCfest program. I've attached a draft. I'm still receiving abstracts and will get those added in this coming weekend, but I wanted to get the basics out to everyone.

          Thanks, Ann, for putting together this experience for us.

          See you there!

          Dianne

          Dianne Lynn Chidester, Assistant Professor

          Anthropology & Sociology

          Greenville Technical College

          P.O. Box 5616, MS 1042

          Greenville, SC 29607

          Find out more at our web site http://saccweb.net/ Yahoo Groups Links
        • Sullivan, Tim

            Wednesday, April 23, 2014
            3 – 5 p.m SACC Board Meeting
            5 – 7 p.m. Registration
            6 p.m. Reception
            Thursday, April 24, 2014
            Registration 7:45 a.m.
[...]

            ------------------------------------

            Find out more at our web site http://saccweb.net/ Yahoo Groups Links
          • ANN BRAGDON
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 8, 2014
              Dianne,
              Frederick Wiseman, Johnson State College and Melody Walker Brook,
              Johnson State College will co- present at the ECHO museum.
              Don't think that is there.

              Lloyd tells me that Thursday - we need "supper"  not super...

              I am sure more edits will be appropriate.

              Thanks for your work!!
              Ann

              My Co-Presenter is Melody Walker Brook of Champlain College or Johnson State College. (Mel- what title do you wish to use???)

              The Title should Read;
              Indigenous Agricultural Renewal in the Upper Connecticut River Valley: Seeds, to Ceremony, to Cuisine.

              See you soon

              Wednesday, April 23, 2014
              3 – 5 p.m SACC Board Meeting
              5 – 7 p.m. Registration
              6 p.m. Reception
              Thursday, April 24, 2014
              Registration 7:45 a.m.
[...]

              This electronic mail message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.  To the best of our ability and knowledge, this mail message has been scanned and is free of viruses and malware.

              Find out more at our web site http://saccweb.net/ Yahoo Groups Links

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to: