Student Chapter?

  • Paskey, Amanda
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 20, 2014

      Has there ever been any talk about adding a student chapter to SACC? Our Student Development Office, which runs student clubs, has become dictatorial, and we are interested in getting our Anthropology Club out from under their control. We had thought about starting an Anthropology Student Association, but it would be nice to have them affiliated with a larger group. Might SACC be interested? It would benefit  both the students (networking, being privy to anthropological chatter, mentoring, etc) and SACC (new members, a student perspective, etc).

      Thoughts? I’m happy to spearhead this if there is interest.

      Amanda

      Amanda M. Wolcott Paskey

      Professor of Anthropology

      Department Chair of Social and Behavioral Sciences

      President-elect for Society for Anthropology in Community Colleges (SACC)

      Cosumnes River College

      8401 Center Parkway

      Sacramento, CA 95823

      (916)691-7409

      paskeya@...

    • Barbara Lass
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 20, 2014

        I think it’s a great idea. We have the same bureaucratic problems with having an Anthro Club at City College of San Francisco. Plus, some semesters there’s only a very few students who are interested, and there isn’t really a critical mass to keep a campus club active. This would give students an option that bypasses those problems.

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 20, 2014
          Amanda:
          This might be an interesting idea. I would be willing to discuss it at Burlington. We do not have an Anthropology Club where I am now; we simply couldn't get enough students to participate. I am hoping by next year we can try again.
          Tim

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 20, 2014
            This would be an excellent way to promote SACC...
            I have a student who will be attending... have always considered anthro club at a disadvantage compared to history and psychology honor societies for students.

            Let's put it on the agenda..

            Ann

[...]

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                SACC-L-digest@yahoogroups.com
                SACC-L-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          • Nina
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 20, 2014
              Hello,

              This is an interesting idea. Do your club members also join the Natl
              Association of Student Anthropologists (AAA section)? My club members all
              belong, but we have never had any conversations, ideas or projects come from
              that connection-or with the AAA in general. It would be nice to have a
              national affiliation that allows us to share initiatives.

              There is an anthropology honor society-Lambda Alpha-but they only accept
              four year colleges as chapters.

              Nina

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 23, 2014
                RE: [SACC-L] RE: Student Chapter?

                Having a SACC sponsored national student association (anthropology club) is an idea worthy of discussion in Burlington!

                Anthony Balzano, PhD
                Professor of Anthropology & Sociology
                Sussex County (NJ) Community College
                1 College Hill Rd.
                Newton, NJ 07860 (U.S.)

                abalzano@...
                fonddesblancs2010@...
                SKYPE: anthonybalzano
                SCCC Office: 973-300-2177
                Cell: 973-271-7680

                ________________________________
[...]

                ------------------------------------

                Find out more at our web site http://saccweb.net/ Yahoo Groups Links

              • Karen L. Muir
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 24, 2014

                  I am not able to attend the conference this year, but also think the idea of a SACC sponsored national student association an excellent idea for discussion.

                  Karen L Muir, PhD

                  Associate Vice President of Academic Affairs

                  Telephone: 614 287 2851

                  Email: kmuir@...

                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 24, 2014
                    This will be on the agenda...

                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 24, 2014
                      Great ideas, all! I wish I could be in Burlington to be there for the discussion-- any chance of a Skype-in? :-)

                      Also, I think it extremely exclusionary to not allow community college students entry into Lambda Alpha (this is just a personal opinion)-- I asked at the national level and was not really given a satisfactory answer other than "we just don't" (even if the community college offers the Bachelor's degree).

                      Perhaps we could learn some stuff from our Phi Theta Kappa brethren as to how to start a community college version of a national honor society?

                      Just my two cents-- I hope everybody has a great time in the 'Burl!

                      Jessie

                      This will be on the agenda...