Open Access Anthropology Text--Call for Chapters

  • Nina Brown
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 21, 2014

      Hello everyone,

      As we begin another semester, I am sure we will all be hearing student concerns about the high costs of textbooks, including anthropology texts. For the past few months a group of SACC members has been working on a project that would provide a free open access alternative to the commercial textbooks used in introductory cultural anthropology courses. We are currently looking for people willing to contribute chapters. I hope you will consider participating in this project, which will make high-quality peer reviewed material available to students free of charge.

      Additional details about the project and information for those interested in participating is below.

      Sincerely,

      Nina Brown
      Community College of Baltimore County

      The Society for Anthropology in Community Colleges (SACC)

      CALL FOR BOOK CHAPTERS

      Open Access Anthropology Textbook

      As the costs associated with higher education continue to rise, many colleges and universities are investigating the potential of joining the Open Educational Resources movement, which promotes the creation and use of high-quality instructional materials that can be offered to students free of charge. Currently, the field of cultural anthropology is taught primarily with commercial textbooks that can be prohibitively expensive for students. Thus, there is a need for a comprehensive open access textbook.

      The Society for Anthropology in Community Colleges proposes to create a high-quality peer reviewed introductory textbook in cultural anthropology that will be available to faculty and students free of charge. The textbook, which will be available online, will cover the major topics relevant to an introductory course and will include interactive digital resources.

      Interested contributors please send a detailed, comprehensive outline for consideration by email to Nina Brown, no later than March 1, 2014 (NBrown2@...). Submissions should also include a short 1-2 page CV (include writing experience and/or fieldwork). Please also provide your email, institutional address, and contact number.  If you would like to propose a co-authored chapter, please provide information for all of the authors.

      Suggested chapters include but are not limited to the following:

      • What is Anthropology?
      • Culture/The Culture Concept
      • Doing Fieldwork
      • Applied Anthropology
      • Language
      • Subsistence (classic modes)
      • Economics
      • Marriage and Family
      • Kinship
      • Sex and Gender
      • Politics
      • Supernaturalism
      • Art
      • Medical Anthropology
      • Food and Culture (contemporary food issues)
      • Culture and Sustainability
      • Globalization

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 21, 2014
          I am likely not as up to date as some but could possibly contribute material on ethnicity (work in former Yugoslavia & Western China), on family cross-culturally and on psychological anthropology.

          I would only want to do this if needed and others teaching more regularly do not step forward in these areas.

          Mary K. Gilliland
          Pima CC, Tucson AZ