SACC Peer-reviewed journal

  • SACC-L-owner@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 9, 2014
      At the AAAs in Chicago, interest developed in starting a discussion around creating a peer-reviewed journal on teaching anthropology. We are now beginning those discussions on an email distribution list. If you would like to join the discussion, or, have experience editing or peer-reviewing and can share your experience with us, please contact me off list so I can add you to the DL. Lagonzal@...

      Laura
    • ANN BRAGDON
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 9, 2014
        Hi Everyone - hope you are thinking about April travel to Burlington!
        The program is shaping up.  More description will follow!
        'Hope to see you there - encourage your colleagues to join us!
        Ann Bragdon

        Just a reminder: SACC Fest Registration is Open
        Information for hotel  and conference registration is on the SACC website:   http://www.aaanet.org/sections/sacc/

        Society for Anthropology in Community Colleges Annual Meeting

        Burlington, Vermont – April 23-26, 2014

        "Transformative Intersections, Processes, and Teaching -
          Food for Thought"

        HILTON BURLINGTON    +1 802 859 5037     60 Battery Street    Burlington VT 05401 - overlooking beautiful Lake Champlain - within walking distance of downtown Burlington, shops, restaurants featuring locally produced food and beverages, and the University of Vermont campus as well.

        Wednesday April 23rd -  opening reception at the hotel on  - stay tuned about the entertainment! 'Hoping for some "fiddling" and other diversions one evening of the conference.

        Member papers / panels on Thursday until 1:45 p.m.
        Then we are off to the ECHO museum <http://www.echovermont.org/>  (5 minute walk  from the hotel).

        Abenaki Archaeologist, Fred Wiseman, Ph.D. will guide us through several of the exhibits - Vermont land features and geology, Paleo-Indian and later human cultures in the region,  concluding with a multi-media presentation on current - active revitalization of "indigenous agriculture".
        Fred describes his presentation as follows:  "I am in the throes of re-introducing historically based agricultural systems back to Indigenous communities in Vermont and New Hampshire - that deals with deep-time sustainable crops and cropping systems, an Environmental/ Ecological issue, working with Native elders on agricultural ceremonies, a Cultural component, based on Historical documents and oral history, that gives the local Indigenous communities Opportunities for stewardship of their cropping systems, germ plasm (sees and rootstocks), ceremonial traditions and landscapes.

        As far as I know, this is the only attempt north of Mexico at directed, community-based ethnic engineering based on solid historical research. This may give the audience a glimpse into Abenaki history and current movements in cultural revitalization.  I have video, artifacts and imagery that could be used to augment the presentation."

        Detail about Friday and the Saturday Field Trip (4/26) will be forthcoming.
        Included on the fieldtrip:
        Chimney Rock    <http://historicsites.vermont.gov/directory/chimney_point>
        Shelburne Farm  http://www.shelburnefarms.org/about  (see video). (Cheese making, maple sugaring, educating for sustainable food production/ etc.)

      • ANN BRAGDON
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 3, 2014
          SACC-Fest 2014  News

          With the strong recommendation of Mark Lewine, we will have a wonderful presenter at SACC Fest 2014:

          Jean J. Schensul, Ph. D.  Senior Scientist and Founding Director Institute for Community Research
          www.incommunityresearch.org     Check out the web-site to appreciate the work in "applied anthropology" taking place
          at the Institute for Community Research.

          Jean has asked me to identify " the role and challenges of anthropologists in community colleges".

          It would seem our list-serve folks could cogently provide some major discussion points.

          Jean Schensul will be at the round-table presentation we will have on Friday 4/25 at SACC Fest.

          Best,
          Ann

        • ANN BRAGDON
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 3, 2014
            FYI. I am getting requests for info on where to send "paper abstracts" for SACC Fest 2014.

            Annual Meeting – SACC Fest    Burlington, Vermont – April 23-26, 2014

            HILTON BURLINGTON +1 802 859 5037 60 Battery Street Burlington VT 05401
            Information for hotel and conference registration is on the
            SACC website: http://www.aaanet.org/sections/sacc/

            Call for Papers!
            "Transformative Intersections, Processes, and Teaching - Food for Thought"

            Proposals for paper presentations on this or any topic relating to anthropology are welcome.
            Of particular  interest are presentations on teaching anthropology.

            Paper presentations are tentatively scheduled for 15 minutes.

            Abstracts should be no longer than 125 words and must be received no later than April 1, 2014.

            Make sure to include your institutional affiliation and contact information with your abstract.

            Abstracts should be sent to Dianne Chidester, preferably, via email at
            Dianne.chidester@...

            Paper abstracts, if necessary, may be sent to:
            Dianne Chidester, Greenville Technical College, Behavioral &
            Social Sciences, MS 1042, P.O. Box 5616, Greenville, SC 29606-5616.

            Notification of acceptance or rejection of proposals will be completed by April 7, 2014.

            No proposal will be accepted for final inclusion in the program until the program chair
            receives confirmation from the AAA prior to April 7, 2014, that the conference registration fees have been paid.

          • Frank Lagana
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 5, 2014
              When I was still teaching, I often felt that I was spending less time teaching anthropology and more and more time doing a kind of remedial education for my students. Most of my students came out of high schools that were not much more than custodial institutions. I'd like to see some discussion of this aspect of community college teaching. How, for example, do we talk about evolution to students who probably have no idea of what a gene is. How do we assign readings to folks who may not have much more than a sixth or seventh grade reading level.

              Frank (from the beach in Jamaica )
              Sent from my iPhone

              Keep an open mind but don't let your brains fall out.
            • ANN BRAGDON
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 5, 2014

                This is interesting…

                From: The Chronicle <wiredcampus@...<mailto:wiredcampus@...>>
                Date: Wednesday, February 5, 2014 at 6:00 AM
                To: "wiredcampus@...<mailto:wiredcampus@...>" <wiredcampus@...<mailto:wiredcampus@...>>
                Subject: Wired Campus: Anthropology Journal Moves to Open-Access Model

                Anthropology Journal Moves to Open-Access Model<http://chronicle.com/blogs/wiredcampus/quickwire-anthropology-journal-moves-to-open-access-model/50099?cid=wc&utm_source=wc&utm_medium=en>

                The editors say they hope the move will expand the audience of the journal to curious readers—academic or not—who would not normally have access to the latest anthropology research.

              • Karen L. Muir
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 6, 2014
                  Sounds like something to consider for the proposed peer reviewed journal perhaps….

                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 18, 2014
                    Hi Everyone - hope you have registered at the hotel if you are planning to attend SACC Fest 2014 Burlington!
                    'Hope to see you there - encourage your colleagues to join us!
                    Ann Bragdon

                    Annual Meeting – SACC  Fest
                    Burlington, Vermont – April 23-26, 2014
                    Information for hotel and conference registration is on the SACC website: http://www.aaanet.org/sections/sacc/
                    Register for Hotel ASAP.

                    Call for Papers! Submit Abstract by April 1st.

                  • <dianne.chidester@...>
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 21, 2014

                      Hi, Ann!

                      Just got back from Iceland at 2 this morning.  It was a wonderful trip!

                      So far we have 4 abstracts.  This is not unusual.  SACCers tend to wait to the last minute.

                      --Dianne

                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 21, 2014
                        You know, Dianne, you just make me jealous!!!

                        Melvin Arthur Johnson, PhD
                        AAG, NCGE, WGS, AAA, SACC
                        Assistant Professor
                        Department of Geography and Geology
                        University of Wisconsin Colleges
                        705 Viebahn
                        Manitowoc, Wisconsin  54220
                        (920) 683-4729
                        melvin.johnson@... or majohns1@...

                        To: SACC-L@yahoogroups.com

                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 23, 2014
                          RE: [SACC-L] Reminder: Register for Hotel/ Submit Abstracts - SACC Fest in Burlington Vermont

                          Note that the SACC website lists the SACC2014 conference registration fee for members as $275.  However, registration is $300 for members on the AAA registration site.

                          Anthony Balzano, PhD
                          Professor of Anthropology & Sociology
                          Sussex County (NJ) Community College
                          1 College Hill Rd.
                          Newton, NJ 07860 (U.S.)

                          abalzano@...
                          fonddesblancs2010@...
                          SKYPE: anthonybalzano
                          SCCC Office: 973-300-2177
                          Cell: 973-271-7680

                          Dianne.chidester@... <mailto:Dianne.chidester@...%20>
[...]

                          This electronic mail message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.  To the best of our ability and knowledge, this mail message has been scanned and is free of viruses and malware.