Fw: Fwd: FW: Why our great grandparents were so much happier than we are......

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 10, 2013
      Why our great grandparents were so much happier than we are......this is open market, free enterprise...patent medicines and drinks needed to have an immediate, noticeably good effect to be purchased more than once...

      Have you ever wondered why our great grandparents all

      had such fond memories of their youth?

      Well... I'm surprised they remembered anything at all !!!
      Forget Tums & Tylenol. Forget Aleve & Benadryl.
      Look at the cool stuff they had back then!

      A bottle of Bayer's 'Heroin'.

      Between 1890 and 1910 heroin was sold as a non-addictive substitute

      for morphine.
      It was also used to treat children suffering with a strong cough.

      Coca Wine, anyone?

      Metcalf's Coca Wine was one of a huge variety of wines with

      cocaine on the market. Everybody used to say that it would make

      you happy and it would also work as a medicinal treatment.

      Mariani Wine.

      Mariani wine (1875) was the most famous Coca wine of it's time.

      Pope Leo XIII used to carry one bottle with him all the time.

      He awarded Angelo Mariani (the producer) with a Vatican gold medal.

      Maltine.

      Produced by the Maltine Manufacturing Company of New York .

      It was suggested that you should take a full glass with or after every meal.

      Children should only take half a glass.

      A paperweight:

      A paperweight promoting C.F. Boehringer & Soehne (Mannheim , Germany ).

      They were proud of being the biggest producers in the world of products containing

      Quinine and Cocaine.

      Opium for Asthma:

      At 40% alcohol plus 3 grams of opium per tablet.

      It didn't cure you... but you didn't care!

      Cocaine Tablets (1900).

      All stage actors, singers, teachers and preachers had to have them

      for a maximum performance. Great to 'smooth' the voice.

      Cocaine drops for toothache.

      Very popular for children in 1885. Not only did they relieve the pain,

      they made the children very happy!

      Opium for newborns.

      I'm sure this would make them sleep well. (not only the Opium, but also the 46% alcohol)

      It's no wonder they were called, "The Good Old Days".
      From cradle to grave... everyone was STONED!