Pearson Online Anthropology

  • Anthony Balzano
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 11, 2013

      SACC-ers,

      Does anyone have any experience using or reviewing a Pearson Online Anthropology course that has been created by Pearson?  My institution is considering buying these online courses and I would like to get the perspective of faculty.

      You can contact me on-list or off-list, your choice.

      Regards,

      Anthony Balzano, Ph.D.

      Professor of Anthropology & Sociology

      Dept. of Social Sciences & History

      Sussex County (NJ) Community College

      1 College Hill Rd.

      Newton, NJ 07860 (U.S.)

      abalzano@...

      fonddesblancs2010@...

      SKYPE: anthonybalzano

      SCCC Office: 973-300-2177

      Cell: 973-271-7680

    • Anthropmor
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 12, 2013
        We haven't, but I have to say I am always dissappointed in the "my anthrolab" or the other on line support sites.
        2 problems- related to each other- 1- they guide you to their copywritten material or open source materials you could find on your own and 2- they are dedicated to keeping you within their customer pool.
        Mike Pavlik

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 12, 2013
          Ditto for other publishers ... whether it is Wiley or McGraw-Hill or any of the few remaining big publishers ... the strategy and the feel are the same. Imagine if, like me, the pool of students is 1500/year! I have never felt SO loved by publishers in my life!

          One thing to consider: there are smaller, specialty publishers who might be interested in the niche market that you can represent. We have 2 here on campus: Morton and bluedoor. They are small houses and specialize in only one or two related disciplines. I do not know of one for general anthro, but I would be willing to bet there are some out there.

          Anj

          --

          Andrew J Petto, PhD
          Senior Lecturer

          Could you be a teacher?

        • kent morris
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 12, 2013
            anthrolab not worth the trouble--just makes life unnecessarily complicated...