Re: [SACC-L] Richland Garbology Project

  • Sue Ruth
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 21, 2013
      Hello,

      I'm teaching an new archaeology lab and field methods this semester, and I am considering a segment on garbology where we look at recycling behaviors on campus in which we would examine the contents of recycling bins (CNM in New Mexico). My college is concerned about safety, and I need more information about how these projects ensured safety for the students. I remember hearing about the Richland Garbology Project on this listserv and was wondering about the specifics of how that was run. If anyone has more information, could you please respond to the list or contact me at sruth2@...? Thanks in advance.

      Susan Ruth
      Central New Mexico Community College
      Communications, Humanities, and Social Sciences (CHSS)
      Westside Campus
      10549 Universe Blvd NW
      Albuquerque, NM 87114
      Phone: (505) 224-4000 ext. 50277

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 21, 2013
        My archaeology students particpate in a campus waste audit, where all the trash deemed 'waste' (ie. not including recyling or composting containers) is sorted (my students work alongside students from Enviornmental Geography and Outdoor Recreation). It is an all-day affair with students working 90 minute shifts. In regards to safety....we have the waste disposal and recycling companies on-side with the audit. They provide students with overalls, gloves, goggles, and masks. I or one of the other instructors provide a brief safety talk before each group of students start their shift (eg. always wear gloves).

        Others on this list (Tim Sullivan, Greg Smith) should be able to speak to the projects involving students sorting waste and recyclables on their campuses.

        Stacy Camp, at the University of Idaho (I think), has had her students do something similar on campus as well. She wrote an article on it that was pubished a couple of years ago in 'World Archaeology.' The details (e.g volume and page numbers) of the article are in the column I wrote for 'Anthropology News' several months ago, called 'The Most Wasteful People Anytime, Anywhere' http://www.anthropology-news.org/index.php/2012/11/16/the-most-wasteful-people-anywhere-anytime-and-archaeology/

        The Archaeology Technology degree program we have here in Wyoming was developed by my predecessor and I have a hunch he used Cabrillo as a model. Our certificate is tied to our field school and not the land surveying program but I think that is a great idea.

        Greg

        I am thinking about establishing a certificate program in archaeology at my CC and wondering if anyone on the list has experience with these programs and would be willing to provide some tips or advice? I have questions about the best way to define the certificates in terms of sets of marketable skills. I am also wondering if anyone was worked with a certificate program that operates in partnership with a career program in land surveying?

        Thank you,

        Nina

      • Greg Smith
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 22, 2013
          Hi Sue,

          The Northwest College Garbology Project that I direct uses labcoats, gloves, and we will add masks when we do it again next month. I’ve only run the project twice but so far have not had any injuries or other safety issues come up. Probably the most dangerous “artifact” that I can think of while sorting through garbage are tin cans that can sometimes have sharp edges when they are opened (especially when opened by a college student without access to a can opener!). It seems to me like a basic first aid kit would take care of 99% of any injuries that may occur in the unlikely event that they do.

          J. Gregory Smith, Ph.D.
          Assistant Professor of Anthropology
          Northwest College
          231 West Sixth Street
          Powell, Wyoming 82435
          office phone: 307/754-6131
          www.northwestcollege.edu/anthropology<http://www.northwestcollege.edu/anthropology>

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 30, 2013
            Thank you Bob Muckle and Greg Smith for your garbology project suggestions. My college has given me the go-ahead for a recycling/garbology project. Very exciting!

            Sue

            Susan Ruth, Ph.D.
            Anthropology Instructor