RE: [SACC-L] Archaeology Certificate Programs

  • Bob Muckle
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 19, 2013
      Nina,

      Former SACC president, now-retired, Rob Edwards ran what appeared to be a phenomenal 'Archaeology Technology' program that was based at Cabrillo College but also involved a consortium of colleges and I think universities in California. I think the program ended when Rob retired but you can probably still find enough info about it on-line to use it as a model. Of course, you could also probably talk to Rob directly for advice. I can think of nobody better. Rob is very well-respected in North American archaeology.

      I'm not sure if they still run it, but Hocking College in Ohio had a archaeology technology program a few years ago.

      I think Northwest College in Wyoming also as a archaeology certificate or degree program.

      I dabbled with the idea of developing a program at my institution years ago and was going to model it after Rob's program at Cabrillo. I recall liking the mix of courses that would lead to employability, and/or ladder to a university.

      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 19, 2013
        Pima Community College has had both a Certificate and a separate Applied Associates Degree in Archaeology for many years. The program actually bids on local contract archaeology projects, and is able to offer on the job training. The certificate program has some basic academic course work, but most of it has to do with mapping, GIS, survey, tools, and then there is a field class (that is sometimes associated with a project out there in the community).

        The curriculum is laid out on www.pima.edu<http://www.pima.edu> under Courses & Programs.

        Mary Kay Gilliland
        Pima Community College,
        Tucson, AZ
        mkgilliland@...

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 19, 2013
          Hi all! I would like to also suggest the Cabrillo College model. It is a
          statewide consortium (I teach at Napa Valley College and am in the process
          of developing ours), and, if the right partnerships are made, are even
          eligible for "CTE" (Career-tech education) funds, which appears to be
          buckets of money thrown at career/applied programs.

          Great thread! Please let us know what you find out!

          Jessica V. Amato, Ph.D.
          jvamato@...
          http://www.linkedin.com/in/jessamato

          On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 7:54 AM, Nina Brown <nina@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Hello,
          >
          > I am thinking about establishing a certificate program in archaeology at my
          > CC and wondering if anyone on the list has experience with these programs
          > and would be willing to provide some tips or advice? I have questions about
          > the best way to define the certificates in terms of sets of marketable
          > skills. I am also wondering if anyone was worked with a certificate program
          > that operates in partnership with a career program in land surveying?
          >
          > Thank you,
          >
          > Nina

        • Greg Smith
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 20, 2013
            Hi Nina,

            The Archaeology Technology degree program we have here in Wyoming was developed by my predecessor and I have a hunch he used Cabrillo as a model. Our certificate is tied to our field school and not the land surveying program but I think that is a great idea.

            Greg

            I am thinking about establishing a certificate program in archaeology at my CC and wondering if anyone on the list has experience with these programs and would be willing to provide some tips or advice? I have questions about the best way to define the certificates in terms of sets of marketable skills. I am also wondering if anyone was worked with a certificate program that operates in partnership with a career program in land surveying?

            Thank you,

            Nina

          • Sue Ruth
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 21, 2013
              Hello,

              I'm teaching an new archaeology lab and field methods this semester, and I am considering a segment on garbology where we look at recycling behaviors on campus in which we would examine the contents of recycling bins (CNM in New Mexico). My college is concerned about safety, and I need more information about how these projects ensured safety for the students. I remember hearing about the Richland Garbology Project on this listserv and was wondering about the specifics of how that was run. If anyone has more information, could you please respond to the list or contact me at sruth2@...? Thanks in advance.

              Susan Ruth
              Central New Mexico Community College
              Communications, Humanities, and Social Sciences (CHSS)
              Westside Campus
              10549 Universe Blvd NW
              Albuquerque, NM 87114
              Phone: (505) 224-4000 ext. 50277

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 21, 2013
                My archaeology students particpate in a campus waste audit, where all the trash deemed 'waste' (ie. not including recyling or composting containers) is sorted (my students work alongside students from Enviornmental Geography and Outdoor Recreation). It is an all-day affair with students working 90 minute shifts. In regards to safety....we have the waste disposal and recycling companies on-side with the audit. They provide students with overalls, gloves, goggles, and masks. I or one of the other instructors provide a brief safety talk before each group of students start their shift (eg. always wear gloves).

                Others on this list (Tim Sullivan, Greg Smith) should be able to speak to the projects involving students sorting waste and recyclables on their campuses.

                Stacy Camp, at the University of Idaho (I think), has had her students do something similar on campus as well. She wrote an article on it that was pubished a couple of years ago in 'World Archaeology.' The details (e.g volume and page numbers) of the article are in the column I wrote for 'Anthropology News' several months ago, called 'The Most Wasteful People Anytime, Anywhere' http://www.anthropology-news.org/index.php/2012/11/16/the-most-wasteful-people-anywhere-anytime-and-archaeology/

                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 22, 2013
                  Hi Sue,

                  The Northwest College Garbology Project that I direct uses labcoats, gloves, and we will add masks when we do it again next month. I’ve only run the project twice but so far have not had any injuries or other safety issues come up. Probably the most dangerous “artifact” that I can think of while sorting through garbage are tin cans that can sometimes have sharp edges when they are opened (especially when opened by a college student without access to a can opener!). It seems to me like a basic first aid kit would take care of 99% of any injuries that may occur in the unlikely event that they do.

                  J. Gregory Smith, Ph.D.
                  Assistant Professor of Anthropology
                  Northwest College
                  231 West Sixth Street
                  Powell, Wyoming 82435
                  office phone: 307/754-6131
                  www.northwestcollege.edu/anthropology<http://www.northwestcollege.edu/anthropology>

                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 30, 2013
                    Thank you Bob Muckle and Greg Smith for your garbology project suggestions. My college has given me the go-ahead for a recycling/garbology project. Very exciting!

                    Sue

                    Susan Ruth, Ph.D.
                    Anthropology Instructor