Re: [SACC-L] AN archaeology column

  • Andrew Petto
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 6 9:54 AM
      I hadn't picked up the article yet, but it sounded like that.

      If just brought to mind the situation in my own family; my father's
      father had no daughters, so his mothers mtDNA did not get passed on.
      Furthermore, his two sons had no daughters, so THEIR mother's mtDNA did
      not get passed along. So, we are looking at a pretty powerful reduction
      in the presence of mtDNA in this lineage (essentially the "extinction"
      of a matriline, at least among these descendants, in a fairly short time
      --- from about 1900 to about 1977, two of those matrilines were closed
      off).

      This was not such a big deal in the early 20th century; my grandfather's
      father had multiple brothers and sisters (over a dozen), so the mtDNA
      lineage was not truly "extinct". But, if you happen to find my skeleton
      or my children's in 10K years, those matrilines will not be represented
      in the mtDNA. And my kids and grandkids, of course, would have DNA from
      lineages as far apart as Northwest Europe and Central America.

      And, of course, this is a less a "genetic" issue than the typical
      marriage-migration paradigm, which is part of the bread-and-butter of
      anthropology; that is, these things have a huge impact on the genetics
      of populations at the level of the data from individual samples that we
      take --- even if, in the grand scheme of things, the impact is
      relatively minor.

      Anj

      --

      Andrew J Petto, PhD