RE: [SACC-L] RE: Sussex County (NJ) Community College 2013 Archaeology Field School

  • Bob Muckle
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 26, 2013
      I agree with much of what you say Mark. Recall I modelled the Capilano archaeology field program (now in Year 14) after yours. An archaeology field program doesn't have to be expensive though. I still claim that I do the work with 'no budget' (although I do borrow equipment from other departments, and hide some expenses). As you did in your program, I keep the focus on 'historic." This works for many reasons, including lower costs, and public interest. And you don't need a special lab. Although I have great space to use in the summer now, for the first nine years I simply used a classroom as a lab. The only real cost to Capilano is the lower number of students enroled in the field school compared to a regular class. I regularly make sure the adminstrators aware of all the public education I do and have them out to visit the excavations. It took me 10 years to get Marketing interested, but I have had it for the past few years. Not much, but at least we are in the mix.

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 26, 2013
        I thought it was pretty cool, myself. Nice video! Bob is so right...media does love archaeology!
        Tim
        Timothy L. Sullivan, Ph.D.
        Professor of Anthropology
        Richland College
        12800 Abrams Rd.
        Dallas, TX 75243

        972-238-6959
        tsullivan@...
        >>> Anthony Balzano 07/26/13 10:38 AM >>>
        SACC-ers,

        This video is not as cool as Capilano's archaeology video but it is a start for us:

        http://www.njherald.com/category/182574/video?clipId=9072320&autostart=true

        Regards,

        Anthony Balzano, PhD
        Professor of Anthropology & Sociology