RE: Sussex County (NJ) Community College 2013 Archaeology Field School

  • Bob Muckle
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 26, 2013
      Nice video Tony. To think....SCCC didn't even have archaeology of few years ago. Media loves archaeology.

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 26, 2013
        One very important strategy (I have been thinking about with time to do so
        in retirement)...for raising support for archaeology programs in
        anthropology curricula (so important for community colleges to develop at
        least 3 subfield anthropology programs) is to develop a field program of
        course, as some of us have done, but MARKETING a field program with concise
        videos demonstrating the process, setting and excited participants, and also
        news media participation. (it can be professionally painful due to how media
        brands our work settings and subjects), but it always draws huge television
        audiences-2nd only to sex and violence). Beth and Mallory in Cleveland are
        continuing our local field program but the college is not really on board
        and the archaeology sections have disappeared. We needed to bring in the
        college Marketing Department IN THE PLANNING STAGE I think, as the control
        center of our colleges is clearly in the corporate offices and they focus on
        marketing...Field research in archaeology on the news stimulates college
        marketing execs because it brands the community college as a place for
        contemporary active field research for today's students. The College
        administration in general loves to use active student fieldwork as marketing
        videos to show board members and foundation donors the outdoor field
        settings for urban students, evidence of new media attention branding the
        community college as a place for scholarly yet active field sites for
        learning, THESE THINGS WORK FOR MARKETING THE COLLEGE...to build student
        numbers in archaeology classes, though, we also need to collaborate with
        other disciplines for work in the field...Environmental programs, biology,
        geology, even engineering might be interested in participating and adding
        field research and a lab component, and we might team teach with them, so
        they get their 'social science requirements' partly with archaeology. All
        of this is to encourage longer term planning than I did, (we did last
        from -'94-2010) but today's college corporations require collaborative
        planning with execs and with other departments...the irony of archaeology is
        that it is very expensive to Deans and other academic execs because it
        requires lots of time and equipment, lab space, grant development, but
        generates comparatively few students and sections for teaching/learning. It
        thus becomes "extra" and the "special class" unless we market it differently
        and work collaboratively with areas of our colleges and communities that we
        have not been traditionally worked closely with...(I brought in marketing
        only at the end of my planning, to show them what we did and how they could
        benefit from it...what I would do now is bring the execs and marketing
        depts. and grants officers, early in the planning and share the program as
        "ours"...whew...tough to do...but necessary.

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 26, 2013
          I agree with much of what you say Mark. Recall I modelled the Capilano archaeology field program (now in Year 14) after yours. An archaeology field program doesn't have to be expensive though. I still claim that I do the work with 'no budget' (although I do borrow equipment from other departments, and hide some expenses). As you did in your program, I keep the focus on 'historic." This works for many reasons, including lower costs, and public interest. And you don't need a special lab. Although I have great space to use in the summer now, for the first nine years I simply used a classroom as a lab. The only real cost to Capilano is the lower number of students enroled in the field school compared to a regular class. I regularly make sure the adminstrators aware of all the public education I do and have them out to visit the excavations. It took me 10 years to get Marketing interested, but I have had it for the past few years. Not much, but at least we are in the mix.

          Nice video Tony. To think....SCCC didn't even have archaeology of few years
          ago. Media loves archaeology.

          This video is not as cool as Capilano's archaeology video but it is a start
          for us:

          http://www.njherald.com/category/182574/video?clipId=9072320&autostart=true

          Regards,

          Anthony Balzano, PhD
          Professor of Anthropology & Sociology
          Sussex County (NJ) Community College
          1 College Hill Rd.
          Newton, NJ 07860 (U.S.)

          abalzano@...<mailto:abalzano%40sussex.edu><mailto:abalzano%40sussex.edu>
          fonddesblancs2010@...<mailto:fonddesblancs2010%40ymail.com><mailto:fonddesblancs2010%40ymail.com>
          SKYPE: anthonybalzano
          SCCC Office: 973-300-2177
          Cell: 973-271-7680

        • Tim Sullivan
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 26, 2013
            I thought it was pretty cool, myself. Nice video! Bob is so right...media does love archaeology!
            Tim
            Timothy L. Sullivan, Ph.D.
            Professor of Anthropology
            Richland College
            12800 Abrams Rd.
            Dallas, TX 75243

            972-238-6959
            tsullivan@...
            >>> Anthony Balzano 07/26/13 10:38 AM >>>
            SACC-ers,

            This video is not as cool as Capilano's archaeology video but it is a start for us:

            http://www.njherald.com/category/182574/video?clipId=9072320&autostart=true

            Regards,

            Anthony Balzano, PhD
            Professor of Anthropology & Sociology