further Affordable Care Act material

  • Anthropmor
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 22, 2013
      anthro's - here it is. What does thgis suggest about office hours, committees, curriculum development etc?

      Dear Colleagues,
      Last week, the Department of Treasury and the White House announced that the employer reporting requirements and the employer shared responsibility/play or pay penalty regarding the Affordable Care Act are being delayed until 2015.

      As you may recall, there are many requirements of the Affordable Care Act which the college must meet such as reporting and payment of the PCORI fee, reporting health care costs on employee W-2 forms, and distribution of various notices and benefit summaries. We have either already implemented these requirements or are on track to implement them in our FY14 reporting year.

      Over the past several months, the college has put into motion various tools and processes to prepare the college for these requirements. Despite the delay in the formal reporting requirement by the government, XXX will proceed with the direction it is taking to be a compliant and responsible employer under the provisions of the law. Compliance efforts include:

      1. Part time employees (adjuncts included) cannot work more than 28 hours per week
      2. Part time employees (adjuncts included) must sign a “part time acknowledgement form” indicating they understand the hours limitation
      3. Job descriptions are being updated and will not reference a schedule in excess of 28 hours
      4. A compliance team has been created to establish necessary reporting and tracking tools, and recommended policy/procedure modifications.

      To provide clarification for those employees who work as an adjunct instructor and in an additional part time capacity (for example, tutor) we offer the following chart.

      Contact Hours Taught

      Other Part Time Hours Available

      3

      20

      4

      17

      5

      14

      6

      12

      7

      9

      8

      6

      9

      4

      10

      1

      11

      0

      Additionally, we have been unable to secure a formal final interpretation regarding student workers. For summer 2013, we have authorized student workers to work up to 40 hours as stipulated by the current XXX student employment procedures. In fall 2013, we expect those hours to be reduced to a maximum of 20 hours, in line with the current XXX student employment procedures. As final interpretation becomes available (anticipated late fall 2013) we will make adjustments if needed. At this time we will have further communication to you to advise you of our measurement, administrative and stability periods.

      While many of our peer institutions have limited the number of jobs part-time employees have, I am happy to share that we have worked diligently to ensure that our part-time employees are able to keep their original responsibilities. If you have any questions, please let me know.

      Sincerely,HR

    • Nikki Ives
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 22, 2013
        I have some to add as well.  It sounds like at PGCC they are going to offer insurance to permanent part-time employees but not to adjunct faculty.  Adjunct faculty hours will be limited so health insurance does not have to be offered.

        Many part-time employees (like myself) also teach as adjunct faculty and in order to comply with the new law, we were in a position where we would have to choose one or the other - I guess there were enough of us in this position they decided to offer insurance to this group so that we can continue in our part-time office jobs and in our adjunct faculty positions.  Interesting note - apparently the strict restriction on us not exceeding 18 hours a week in our office jobs will be loosened as a result of this - I have already been asked to take on additional projects. This has not been officially announced yet, but it seems this is the direction we are moving.  Because of the delay, we won't know for sure until next year.

        I received an extremely vague response about why adjunct faculty can't be offered health insurance - it has something to do with difficulty of opting in or out - I need to follow up on this.

        As for office hours, serving on committees, etc...about two years ago, in response to complaints about adjunct faculty not participating in campus life, our adjunct faculty representative and I drafted a proposed pay scale for adjunct faculty who participate in campus activities such as serving as club advisors, sitting on committees, serving on the faculty senate, volunteering in the International Education Center, etc...This pay scale was well received by our VP of Academic Affairs - and then we didn't hear anything.  We asked, and asked and did not receive a response. Now it has come to light it fell apart because of the health care law.  Not cool.

        However, despite all of this - I still contend the health care law is a good thing overall - and I personally think we should use this is as an example of why colleges and universities need to stop exploiting people and re-evaluate their use of adjunct faculty.

        >________________________________

      • Nikki Ives
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 22, 2013
          Also, it looks like organizations such as the New Faculty Majority are beginning to offer health insurance.  It looks limited - and not all states are covered - and their link is broken, but...FYI...

          http://www.newfacultymajority.info/equity/joomla-stuff-mainmenu-26/health-insurance-for-adjuncts

        • Anthropmor
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 22, 2013
            I couldn't agree more - I was trying to point out where we were going to have obvious manipulation and abuse- and it looks like you were all ready dealing with a similar issue. I have received some grief over designing new classes, sort of the opposite situation-
            Mike Pavlik

          • Anthropmor
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 22, 2013
              Thanks