Re: [SACC-L] adjunct professor petraeus

  • Andrew Petto
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 6, 2013
      He will attract media attention and, potentially, donors, and maybe ...
      students.

      It is definitely cheaper than a Division 1 football team, but probably
      as effective a marketing strategy.

      Anj

      On 2013-07-06 11:05, Deborah Shepherd wrote:

      > Indeed. After all the grief instructors constantly receive from their
      > administrators about the presumed quality of their teaching and all the
      > required professional development added to their teaching schedules, it is
      > hard to imagine was Petraeus' actual teaching qualifications are.
      >
      > Deborah
      >
      > From: SACC-L@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SACC-L%40yahoogroups.com>

      Andrew J Petto, PhD
      Senior Lecturer
      Department of Biological Sciences
      University of Wisconsin -- Milwaukee
      PO Box 413
      Milwaukee WI 53201-0413
      CapTel Line: 1-877-243-2823
      Telephone: 414-229-6784
      FAX: 414-229-3926

      Could you be a teacher?

    • Anthropmor
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 6, 2013
        He actually has the education (and experience) to teach - lots to offer in that department- it is just the whopping celebrity fee that bothers me.
        Daley teaching poli sci and Petraues teaching military history/ poli sci is fine- Daley could teach CrJ as well, as he was not only a lawyer but a DA.
        Look, credentials matter- but rock star status for negative reasons should not translate into raiding the public coffers again. I don't know how many of you checked out the NYU story I linked to before, but the forgiving of "loans" to star faculty at NYU - essentially giving them 200-300 k gifts for housing - often way off campus- is another abuse. It is the ame winner take all mentality that has been ruining our economy.
        Mike Pavlik

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 6, 2013
          I see your point. I do believe that these celeb faculty can indeed teach, but I only ask why the rank-and-file faculty are so often and unfairly treated by admin and the public as barely competent. This is an old prejudice about the teaching profession and includes the attitude that teaching is easy work (and therefore probably overpaid). I once had a student who was convinced that most teachers, including K-12, earned over $100,000 a year. I’m sure he got that gem from his parents and other adults around him. Perhaps this attitude is mainly apparent at the public 2-year college level where I have experience. It may also be stronger in the suburban and rural campuses.

          Deborah

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 7, 2013
            I do believe that these celeb faculty can indeed teach, but I only ask why the rank-and-file faculty are so often and unfairly treated by admin and the public as barely competent

            I agree withthose points; and I am sure some of your "Bachman lead" students do believe those ridiculous salary figures.
            I have quite a few libertarian /extreme right students in my area as well - inm a suburban/ exurbs to small town area.
            Mike Pavlik

            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 7, 2013
              In this discussion of ‘beliefs’ regarding teaching skills of celebrity faculty, I would like to weigh in with a mixed view...if the celebrity is one who has excellent communication skills along with both applied and theoretical knowledge, that is worth a lot. However, do not forget the lesson we learned in the 1960’s and ‘70’s: there is a third dimension to teaching a really diverse student base as in our urban community colleges. A professor must add knowledge and applied knowledge and practice in the teaching/learning process. As a 25 year old from a suburban middle class ethnic background who added three years of an upper class rural prep school, modeled after the “British aristocratic public school culture”, I needed a little more than my three years of working in an urban central city environment, I needed to study learning theory and practice in diverse environments...so I enrolled in a Ed.D. program designed for applied teaching learning in a community college environment and spent two and a half years doing applied theoretical and pragmatic research with my classes while teaching. I still use methods derived from those studies and so do dozens of my colleagues with whom I served as mentor over the next twenty years.
              I have always been proud of our comprehensive community college movement of the mid-1960’s through the ‘70’s as it was both democratic (open access including those who had not been included before (“first in family”) and pragmatic about learning (focus on teaching/learning process and applied experience in instruction). We developed the pragmatic value by necessity as the social and cultural diverse student population that poured into our new comm. colleges in those decades presented quite a stimulating but new set of challenges never met before...”nontraditional” was the weak label attached to them...and that was even weaker than the “multicultural” terms invented to help understand our new challenging learning communities. During these same pioneer decades, we started to even emphasize in hiring committees applied experience in teaching/learning/practice over the Ph.D. with none of those credentials. That is when we accepted the Master’s in subject with the applied learning and practice context as preferred...we had so many new students coming in that we could not wait for shiny new Ph.D.’s with no methodological applied practice get the jobs over those who could handle it upon entry. However, the mix of Master’s in subject taught, with applied educational study and applied practice in the teaching/learning process, never became our accepted policy to meet our new community college culture’s innovative value system. So we have reverted and now support a fairly reactionary culture or avoid the subject entirely...that is what I saw during my last ten to fifteen years.

              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 7, 2013
                Mark:

                Your experience is similar to mine. When I arrived in Philadelphia, I
                picked up an MS program in instruction for those very reasons. Of
                course, I had my own in-house mentor and critic who HAD come up through
                education and helped a lot to get me to the position of being ready to
                do this.

                On celebs, well, it is no different from the rest of us, ain'a? But here
                is the thing ... for the rest of us ... with all the appropriate
                credentials coming fresh into a position as an untried faculty ... how
                likely is it that we will get that kind of money for an adjunct
                appointment? I mean, really? No matter how good we might be eventually.

                I think that is a legitimate beef.

                On the other hand, I think the most amusing story of ex-military lifers
                coming into the civilian world comes from my uncle --- from WWII until
                the mid 1970s a submariner. When he got out and started a lucrative job
                in Groton CT, he was constantly frustrated and angry. "Damn civilians!"
                he used to say, "You tell them to do something and they just look at you!"
                Clearly a need for acculturation.

                Now I know that the "new" military has different management styles that
                they teach their people in the chain of command, but the fact is that
                such "insubordination" in the military has a much more serious
                consequences than in civilian life.

                And Jill Biden is still my hero. Like those teachers who died in
                Columbine and Newtown and Oklahoma and Nigeria and countless places
                trying to protect their students ... a real teacher is someone who lives
                out a commitment.

                Anj

                --

                Andrew J Petto, PhD
                Senior Lecturer
                Department of Biological Sciences
                University of Wisconsin -- Milwaukee
                PO Box 413
                Milwaukee WI 53201-0413
                CapTel Line: 1-877-243-2823
                Telephone: 414-229-6784
                FAX: 414-229-3926

                Could you be a teacher?

              • ANN BRAGDON
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 8, 2013
                  Check out this site for information on Language Revitalization Project

                  The Wôpanâak Language Reclamation Project  http://wlrp.org/index.html%c2%a0
                  Film can be ordered for classroom use:
                  "We Still Live Here: Âs Nutayuneân"