Sorting garbage with kids

  • lauratgonzalez
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 25, 2013
      As you know, our fellow SACCer Lori Barkley recently asked for advice in developing a presentation for young children on anthropology. She chose an archeological slant and had them sorting garbage. Here is her report:

      Lori wrote:

      <<The kids, for the most part, loved it! I started by discussing garbage & showing a man paddling through garbage island, etc. I made boxes of people with colds, babies who were sick, a smoking & drinking vegetarian, pet owners, people with dietary restrictions, etc. They had fun investigating. One of the hardest things was trying to keep all of the garbage for the next session, as the kids wanted to take it with them (ok, it was still garbage, who knew they would want an old management training VHS?). I made artifact sheets & question sheets to guide their "research" & then they presented on who the family was based on garbage. We also had the usual discussion about what gets left behind, what isn't, how it is an impartial record, etc. It was really interesting to see how different the interpretations were based on the same box of stuff. I would definitely do it again, although collecting & sorting the garbage multiple times did get a bit old!>>