Re: [SACC-L] Career Advice - Sociology Graduate Certificate

    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 14, 2013
      Hi Nikki, I'm a day late in reading your message and many have already offered their two cents worth, but I'll add mine anyway.

      My background is a master's plus in Ibero-American Studies, that includes completed coursework for masters in anthropology and Spanish, with minors in Latin American Studies and Portuguese, plus an additional year toward a PhD in Spanish (language and linguistics). Both of the community colleges at which I was hired to teach Spanish were start-ups (1968 & 1970). In both places, after I was hired, I offered to teach anthropology. Since both colleges were building curriculum, the deans in each case thought that was a real plus--two for the price of one, so to speak. So for my entire 32-year community college career, I taught in both subject areas.

      As you see by the responses, nearly all community college instructors teach in several disciplines. I would recommend checking out the Appalachian State online program. The courses offered that they present on their website look like the ones you would likely teach, and you would be able to transfer much of your anthropology background and experience to the task. If the tuition and expenses are doable, I think the additional certificate would definitely enhance your community college employability.

      Best of luck!

      Lloyd