Re: [SACC-L] Career Advice - Sociology Graduate Certificate

  • Anthropmor
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 14, 2013
      I'm in the sam e boat , friend- hang in there.
      Mike Pavlik

      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 14, 2013
        I'm of mixed minds, Nikki. There is no question that I got hired into my full time position because I can teach both Anthropology and Sociology (MA in Anthro, PhD in Soc). However, I'm not seeing very much full-time hiring at all. In our college, we frequently have to fight (and frequently lose) even replacing retired or terminated full-timers, even in our most sought-after social science--Psychology. I started adjuncting full time in 2000 and got my full time job in 2006. It took a bloody long time.

        A second issue is that not all colleges accept online degrees. I don't know much about this and it may be idiosyncratic of a single administrator (who has since retired) in our district, but they would not accept even accredited online degrees for full-timers.

        I hate to be the voice of despair, especially since I managed to get out of the boat you are in. At the same time, I want to acknowledge the nasty state of education in the U.S. right now.

        Sydney

        Sydney Hart, Ph.D.

        Assistant Professor, Anthropology and Sociology

        Wilbur Wright College

        4300 North Narragansett Avenue

        Chicago, Illinois 60634

        ________________________________

      • <dianne.chidester@...>
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 14, 2013
          Nikki,

          I'm afraid my comments ae a second to Sydney's. I have 24 cr hrs towards a master's in Sociology. I was hired here in a soc position, but they liked that I could teach some anthro. Every semester I teach more soc than anthro. Also, we're not hiring. In fact, there are rumors going around that because of changes in health care policy, our adjuncts will only be allowed to teach three classes and the full-timers will have to pick up the slack.

          Keep the faith. It took me a couple of years to find this position. I even considered going back to get a certificate for teaching high school. I was lucky that I was able to apply just about any where. I didn't have any roots.

          Also, the hiring system is not at all polite. Even places where I interviewed in person didn't have the courtesy to send a rejection letter.

          --Dianne

          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 14, 2013
            Hi Nikki, I'm a day late in reading your message and many have already offered their two cents worth, but I'll add mine anyway.

            My background is a master's plus in Ibero-American Studies, that includes completed coursework for masters in anthropology and Spanish, with minors in Latin American Studies and Portuguese, plus an additional year toward a PhD in Spanish (language and linguistics). Both of the community colleges at which I was hired to teach Spanish were start-ups (1968 & 1970). In both places, after I was hired, I offered to teach anthropology. Since both colleges were building curriculum, the deans in each case thought that was a real plus--two for the price of one, so to speak. So for my entire 32-year community college career, I taught in both subject areas.

            As you see by the responses, nearly all community college instructors teach in several disciplines. I would recommend checking out the Appalachian State online program. The courses offered that they present on their website look like the ones you would likely teach, and you would be able to transfer much of your anthropology background and experience to the task. If the tuition and expenses are doable, I think the additional certificate would definitely enhance your community college employability.

            Best of luck!

            Lloyd