Re: [SACC-L] Anth for grades 3-4

  • Karen Muir
    Message 1 of 8 , May 23, 2013
      Can also do functions of teeth - bringing requisite food samples to test (e.g. marshmallows, big thick carrots etc) - paired with a gorilla, chimp and human skull so they can see differences in dentition and talk about differences in diet....

      >>> Philip Stein <stein39@...> 5/22/2013 9:18 PM >>>

      I used to do these presentation. I found out that they are less interested in listening to a talk than to see, touch and play with stuff. I would fill a box with skulls and artifacts and some borrowed fossils from Geology and spent my time going through the box and answering questions. Always worked! I would stick to physical and archaeology where the good stuff is, at least at this age.

      Phil

      Message 2 of 8 , May 23, 2013
        You might want to ask a student or two to volunteer to immitate a chimp.
        They are actually pretty good about it. Then you can do the comparison.

      • <dianne.chidester@...>
        Message 3 of 8 , May 23, 2013
          You might also want to tell them stories that are told in other cultures. There are some good children's books with stories from other countries.

          --Dianne (back from Kenya!)

          Message 4 of 8 , May 23, 2013
            Lori, check out the AnthroNotes index of issues http://anthropology.si.edu/outreach/anthnote/anthronotes.html
            Particularly note the Spring 2008 issue with the article Teaching and Learning About the Great Apes by Carolyn E. Gecan and the web resources in fall 2008. Ann

            Message 5 of 8 , May 29, 2013
              Thanks everyone for your ideas. I was inspired by Bob's (& others) campus garbology projects. So I decided to get clean garbage (mostly recycling) & create garbage collections of different "families" for them to investigate who might be in the family, what kinds of things they eat, do, consume, ages of kids, area, etc.
              Anyway, thanks for the great ideas. I can keep them in mind for next time around.
              Lori

            • Laura Gonzalez
              Message 6 of 8 , May 30, 2013
                In the SACC by-laws, we have an open position called the K-12 Outreach Chair. This is the kind of information that the Chair could manage, supporting members who are doing school and community presentations.

                If you are interested in finding out more about this position or about being on the SACC Board, please contact me directly! Lagonzal@...

                Sounds like fun, Lori! Let us know how it goes.

                Laura