FW: [MerwolfPack] Fwd: A Different Perspective

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 4, 2000
      FW: [MerwolfPack] Fwd: A Different Perspective

      This came to me on another list, I am not sure about it's actual origins,
      but the political anthropology point is well made!

      AP

      Subject: Different Perspective

      A Zimbabwe politician was quoted as saying that children should study the
      US
      election event closely because it shows that election fraud is not only a
      third world phenomena. To illustrate the point, he made the following
      comments;

      "Imagine that we read of an election occurring anywhere in the third
      world
      in which the self-declared winner was the son of the former prime
      minister
      and that former prime minister was himself the former head of that
      nation's
      secret police (the CIA).  Imagine that the self-declared winner lost the
      popular vote but won based on some old colonial holdover from the
      nation's
      pre-democracy past (the electoral college).  Imagine that the
      self-declared
      winner's 'victory' turned on disputed votes cast in a province governed
      by
      his brother!

      Imagine that the poorly drafted ballots of one district, a district
      heavily
      favoring the self-declared winner's opponent, led thousands of voters to
      vote for the wrong candidate. Imagine that members of that nation's most
      despised caste, fearing for their lives/livelihoods, turned out in record
      numbers to vote in near-universal opposition to the self-declared
      winner's
      candidacy. Imagine that hundreds of members of that most despised caste
      were
      intercepted on their way to the polls by
      state police operating under the authority of the self-declared winner's
      brother.

      Imagine that six million people voted in the disputed province and that
      the
      self-declared winner's 'lead' was only 327 votes. Fewer, certainly, than
      the
      vote counting machines' margin of error. Imagine that the self-declared
      winner and his political party opposed a more careful by hand inspection
      and
      re-counting of the ballots in the disputed province or in its most hotly
      disputed district.

      Imagine that the self-declared winner, himself a governor of a major
      province, had the worst human rights record of any province in his nation
      and actually led the nation in executions. Imagine that a major campaign
      promise of the self-declared winner was to appoint like-minded human
      rights
      violators to lifetime positions on the high court of that nation.

      None of us would deem such an election to be representative of anything
      other than the self-declared winner's will-to-power. All of us, I
      imagine,
      would wearily turn the page thinking that it was another sad tale of
      pitiful
      pre- or anti-democracy peoples in some strange, faraway elsewhere."

      GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
      Join Juno today!  For your FREE software, visit:
      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.