Re: [SACC-L] Another addition

  • Laura Gonzalez
    Message 1 of 12 , May 3, 2013
      Haha, Greg!

      Clearly our job is to begin with vocabulary. Ant sister? OMG. I wonder, now, how many of my students were thinking "ant sister" in their minds every time I said ancestor.

      Laura

      On May 3, 2013, at 10:01 AM, Greg Smith wrote:

      Here is an addition from slowly warming up Wyoming. I was amused to learn this semester that Neanderthals are probably not the "ant sister" of modern humans. And, by the way, Homo sapiens is the "decedent" of Homo heidelbergensis.

      J. Gregory Smith, Ph.D.
      Assistant Professor of Anthropology
      Northwest College
      231 West Sixth Street
      Powell, Wyoming 82435
      office phone: 307/754-6131
      www.northwestcollege.edu/anthropology

      Message 2 of 12 , May 3, 2013
        I did not see "ant sister" this semester, but I did have a student discuss social "higher are keys" at Cahokia. I am not making this up.

        Sue

        ________________________________

        After reading and chuckling at a few of them, I started a new mailbox labeled "Students' Weird Commentaries." I'll try to keep it current. Bring 'em on, folks!
        Lloyd

        On May 2, 2013, at 6:59 PM, Tim Sullivan wrote:

        > I don't know if anyone is keeping track of these; but perhaps we need a 'keeper of student quotes.'
        > I just learned this afternoon that 'some believe that early humans were responsible for the extortion of large animals.'
        > I always knew there was something sinister about Fred and Barney!
        > Tim
        >
        > Timothy L. Sullivan, Ph.D.
        > Professor of Anthropology
        > Richland College
        > 12800 Abrams Rd.
        > Dallas, TX 75243
        >
        > 972-238-6959
        > tsullivan@...

      • KATRINA WORLEY
        Message 3 of 12 , May 3, 2013
          To me, "ant sister" and "higher are keys" read more like auto corrections... I wonder how many students simply let their computers correct their spelling without even looking at it.

          <snipped for brevity>

          Katrina Worley
          kworley@...
          --
          History: special people in special places at special times
          Anthropology: everyone else the rest of the time.
          Message 4 of 12 , May 4, 2013
            Sadly, "higher are keys" was from a pencil and paper exam. Some people really are just bad spellers, but not necessarily terrible writers.

            On the other hand, I also received this fascinating discussion post, so I feel at peace:

            The most difficult thing about conveying to someone the concepts of natural selection and evolution is the presence of a very competitive and distracting environment, with groups that have a lot of stake invested in the public consensus. If a group feels that their religion hinges upon the legitimacy of evolution being "proven" to a reasonable degree, there is no incentive to allow the general public to see the issue as clearly as it can be: if a creature's offspring are different from itself, and that difference translates into a greater or lesser chance for survival, you've just witnessed the backbone for how natural selection operates. When extrapolated, this process applies to all animals as well as humans, but there are many religious entities that feel this contradicts their own beliefs. Why should it? The fault is not on the side of science and human knowledge, but their own for taking a position that can so clearly be attacked through evidence as
            simple as digging for a fossil or how antibiotic resistance operates. I think it would be much more reasonable for a religion to target the fields of belief that science could never touch, no matter how advanced it becomes: the purpose of existence, the key to being happy, and how best to live your life."

            Sue

            ________________________________
            To me, "ant sister" and "higher are keys" read more like auto corrections... I wonder how many students simply let their computers correct their spelling without even looking at it.

            <snipped for brevity>

            Katrina Worley
            mailto:kworley%40mac.com

            Message 5 of 12 , May 5, 2013
              Sue, thanks for including this discussion post. What an intelligent, beautifully reasoned argument for distinguishing the proper roles of science and religion (and I'm an atheist)!
              Lloyd

              On May 4, 2013, at 4:59 AM, Sue Ruth wrote:

              > Sadly, "higher are keys" was from a pencil and paper exam. Some people really are just bad spellers, but not necessarily terrible writers.
              >
              > On the other hand, I also received this fascinating discussion post, so I feel at peace:
              >
              > The most difficult thing about conveying to someone the concepts of natural selection and evolution is the presence of a very competitive and distracting environment, with groups that have a lot of stake invested in the public consensus. If a group feels that their religion hinges upon the legitimacy of evolution being "proven" to a reasonable degree, there is no incentive to allow the general public to see the issue as clearly as it can be: if a creature's offspring are different from itself, and that difference translates into a greater or lesser chance for survival, you've just witnessed the backbone for how natural selection operates. When extrapolated, this process applies to all animals as well as humans, but there are many religious entities that feel this contradicts their own beliefs. Why should it? The fault is not on the side of science and human knowledge, but their own for taking a position that can so clearly be attacked through evidence as
              > simple as digging for a fossil or how antibiotic resistance operates. I think it would be much more reasonable for a religion to target the fields of belief that science could never touch, no matter how advanced it becomes: the purpose of existence, the key to being happy, and how best to live your life."
              >
              > Sue
              >

              > ________________________________

            • Greg Smith
              Message 6 of 12 , May 15, 2013
                This just in: the Neanderthal gnome has been sequenced! I should get one for my garden...

                Message 7 of 12 , May 15, 2013
                  Greg, thanks for both of these (and to all who have sent in students' delightful comments). I'm keeping a running list on a Word document. If anyone would like a copy of it so far, email me individually, as we can't attach things on the listserv.
                  Lloyd

                  On May 15, 2013, at 1:20 PM, Greg Smith wrote:

                  > This just in: the Neanderthal gnome has been sequenced! I should get one for my garden...

                  > J. Gregory Smith, Ph.D.
                  > Assistant Professor of Anthropology
                  > Northwest College
                  > 231 West Sixth Street
                  > Powell, Wyoming 82435
                  > office phone: 307/754-6131
                  > www.northwestcollege.edu/anthropology

                • Laura Gonzalez

                    After reading and chuckling at a few of them, I started a new mailbox labeled "Students' Weird Commentaries." I'll try to keep it current. Bring 'em on, folks!
                    Lloyd

                    On May 2, 2013, at 6:59 PM, Tim Sullivan wrote:

                    > I don't know if anyone is keeping track of these; but perhaps we need a 'keeper of student quotes.'
                    > I just learned this afternoon that 'some believe that early humans were responsible for the extortion of large animals.'
                    > I always knew there was something sinister about Fred and Barney!
                    > Tim
                    >
                    > Timothy L. Sullivan, Ph.D.
                    > Professor of Anthropology
                    > Richland College
                    > 12800 Abrams Rd.
                    > Dallas, TX 75243
                    >
                    > 972-238-6959
                    > tsullivan@...

                  • Kip Waldo
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 15, 2013
                      Sounds like we have a new edition of "F in Exams: The Very Best Totally Wrong Test Answers" or "F for Effort".
                      I just ran into them in my local bookstore.
                      kip