Re: [SACC-L] Re: Three Things I Have Learned From Students

  • Erik Ozolins
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 20, 2013
      Should have proofread... Damn autocorrect (different website)... I meant to say " I had a student who was very excited..."

      Oops.

      Erik

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Apr 20, 2013, at 1:17 PM, "Erik Ozolins" <eozolins@...> wrote:

      > This semester, I had a student Was bet excited to learn that we would be talking about how humans evolved from "Prime Apes". I guess he was worried that we might have evolved from some second class animals!
      >
      > Erik Ozolins
      >
      > Sent from my iPhone
      >
      > On Apr 19, 2013, at 8:37 AM, "Amanda" <paskeyA@...> wrote:
      >
      > > In the last few semesters, we've had a few doozies---my favorites so far are:
      > > disposable thumbs and prehensile molars
      > >
      > > --- In SACC-L@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Sullivan" <tsullivan@...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > After arriving back from Austin, I have been under a deluge of lab reports that needed grading, along with email, and discussion forums in my online courses. From what I have graded thus far, I have learned three important things I thought worthy of passing along:
      > > > 1. "Women are more important to evolution because men are expandable." (Gosh, and I thought that was precisely why men are important as well, but we shall let it pass).
      > > > 2. "One of our main assets are dispensable thumbs." (That explains the penmanship)
      > > > And my favorite, from a discussion on bioethics:
      > > > 3. "Like it or not, genetics are part of pubic consciousness." (Of this, I am certain!).
      > > > Now, back to the grading!
      > > > Tim
      > > >

      > > > Timothy L. Sullivan, Ph.D.
      > > > Professor of Anthropology
      > > > Richland College
      > > > 12800 Abrams Rd.
      > > > Dallas, TX 75243
      > > >
      > > > 972-238-6959
      > > > tsullivan@...

    • Anthropmor
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 21, 2013
        I tell my students that spellcheck hates them, and autocorrect is spellchecks mean and sneaky sibling.
        Mike Pavlik

        Should have proofread... Damn autocorrect (different website)... I meant to say " I had a student who was very excited..."

        Oops.

        Erik

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Apr 20, 2013, at 1:17 PM, "Erik Ozolins" <eozolins@...> wrote:

        > This semester, I had a student Was bet excited to learn that we would be talking about how humans evolved from "Prime Apes". I guess he was worried that we might have evolved from some second class animals!
        >
        > Erik Ozolins
        >
        > Sent from my iPhone
        >
        > On Apr 19, 2013, at 8:37 AM, "Amanda" <paskeyA@...> wrote:
        >
        > > In the last few semesters, we've had a few doozies---my favorites so far are:
        > > disposable thumbs and prehensile molars
        > >
        > > --- In SACC-L@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Sullivan" <tsullivan@...> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > After arriving back from Austin, I have been under a deluge of lab reports that needed grading, along with email, and discussion forums in my online courses. From what I have graded thus far, I have learned three important things I thought worthy of passing along:
        > > > 1. "Women are more important to evolution because men are expandable." (Gosh, and I thought that was precisely why men are important as well, but we shall let it pass).
        > > > 2. "One of our main assets are dispensable thumbs." (That explains the penmanship)
        > > > And my favorite, from a discussion on bioethics:
        > > > 3. "Like it or not, genetics are part of pubic consciousness." (Of this, I am certain!).
        > > > Now, back to the grading!
        > > > Tim
        > > >

        > > > Timothy L. Sullivan, Ph.D.
        > > > Professor of Anthropology
        > > > Richland College
        > > > 12800 Abrams Rd.
        > > > Dallas, TX 75243
        > > >
        > > > 972-238-6959
        > > > tsullivan@...

      • Amanda
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 24, 2013
          I just learned that primates have adhesive body parts, which apparently helps them "stick vertically to trees"...
          The things you learn from students amazes me! I wish they would put this much effort and creativity in their assigned course work.....

          --- In SACC-L@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Sullivan" <tsullivan@...> wrote:

          > After arriving back from Austin, I have been under a deluge of lab reports that needed grading, along with email, and discussion forums in my online courses. From what I have graded thus far, I have learned three important things I thought worthy of passing along:
          > 1. "Women are more important to evolution because men are expandable." (Gosh, and I thought that was precisely why men are important as well, but we shall let it pass).
          > 2. "One of our main assets are dispensable thumbs." (That explains the penmanship)
          > And my favorite, from a discussion on bioethics:
          > 3. "Like it or not, genetics are part of pubic consciousness." (Of this, I am certain!).
          > Now, back to the grading!
          > Tim
          >

          > Timothy L. Sullivan, Ph.D.
          > Professor of Anthropology
          > Richland College
          > 12800 Abrams Rd.
          > Dallas, TX 75243
          >
          > 972-238-6959
          > tsullivan@...

        • KATRINA WORLEY
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 24, 2013
            My current contributions:
            Apes have WiFi molars
            Neandertals are "stalky"

            Katrina

            On Apr 24, 2013, at 8:25 AM, Amanda <paskeyA@...> wrote:

            > I just learned that primates have adhesive body parts, which apparently helps them "stick vertically to trees"...
            > The things you learn from students amazes me! I wish they would put this much effort and creativity in their assigned course work.....
            >
            > --- In SACC-L@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Sullivan" <tsullivan@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > After arriving back from Austin, I have been under a deluge of lab reports that needed grading, along with email, and discussion forums in my online courses. From what I have graded thus far, I have learned three important things I thought worthy of passing along:
            > > 1. "Women are more important to evolution because men are expandable." (Gosh, and I thought that was precisely why men are important as well, but we shall let it pass).
            > > 2. "One of our main assets are dispensable thumbs." (That explains the penmanship)
            > > And my favorite, from a discussion on bioethics:
            > > 3. "Like it or not, genetics are part of pubic consciousness." (Of this, I am certain!).
            > > Now, back to the grading!

          • Laura Gonzalez
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 24, 2013
              My Neandertals are "stalky" every semester. Even when I note they Are. Not. Celery!!

              L.