Re: Three Things I Have Learned From Students

  • Amanda
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 19, 2013
      In the last few semesters, we've had a few doozies---my favorites so far are:
      disposable thumbs and prehensile molars

      --- In SACC-L@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Sullivan" <tsullivan@...> wrote:

      > After arriving back from Austin, I have been under a deluge of lab reports that needed grading, along with email, and discussion forums in my online courses. From what I have graded thus far, I have learned three important things I thought worthy of passing along:
      > 1. "Women are more important to evolution because men are expandable." (Gosh, and I thought that was precisely why men are important as well, but we shall let it pass).
      > 2. "One of our main assets are dispensable thumbs." (That explains the penmanship)
      > And my favorite, from a discussion on bioethics:
      > 3. "Like it or not, genetics are part of pubic consciousness." (Of this, I am certain!).
      > Now, back to the grading!
      > Tim
      >

      > Timothy L. Sullivan, Ph.D.
      > Professor of Anthropology
      > Richland College
      > 12800 Abrams Rd.
      > Dallas, TX 75243
      >
      > 972-238-6959
      > tsullivan@...

    • Erik Ozolins
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 20, 2013
        This semester, I had a student Was bet excited to learn that we would be talking about how humans evolved from "Prime Apes". I guess he was worried that we might have evolved from some second class animals!

        Erik Ozolins

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Apr 19, 2013, at 8:37 AM, "Amanda" <paskeyA@...> wrote:

        > In the last few semesters, we've had a few doozies---my favorites so far are:
        > disposable thumbs and prehensile molars
        >
        > --- In SACC-L@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Sullivan" <tsullivan@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > After arriving back from Austin, I have been under a deluge of lab reports that needed grading, along with email, and discussion forums in my online courses. From what I have graded thus far, I have learned three important things I thought worthy of passing along:
        > > 1. "Women are more important to evolution because men are expandable." (Gosh, and I thought that was precisely why men are important as well, but we shall let it pass).
        > > 2. "One of our main assets are dispensable thumbs." (That explains the penmanship)
        > > And my favorite, from a discussion on bioethics:
        > > 3. "Like it or not, genetics are part of pubic consciousness." (Of this, I am certain!).
        > > Now, back to the grading!
        > > Tim
        > >

        > > Timothy L. Sullivan, Ph.D.
        > > Professor of Anthropology
        > > Richland College
        > > 12800 Abrams Rd.
        > > Dallas, TX 75243
        > >
        > > 972-238-6959
        > > tsullivan@...

      • Erik Ozolins
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 20, 2013
          Should have proofread... Damn autocorrect (different website)... I meant to say " I had a student who was very excited..."

          Oops.

          Erik

          Sent from my iPhone

          On Apr 20, 2013, at 1:17 PM, "Erik Ozolins" <eozolins@...> wrote:

          > This semester, I had a student Was bet excited to learn that we would be talking about how humans evolved from "Prime Apes". I guess he was worried that we might have evolved from some second class animals!
          >
          > Erik Ozolins
          >
          > Sent from my iPhone
          >
          > On Apr 19, 2013, at 8:37 AM, "Amanda" <paskeyA@...> wrote:
          >
          > > In the last few semesters, we've had a few doozies---my favorites so far are:
          > > disposable thumbs and prehensile molars
          > >
          > > --- In SACC-L@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Sullivan" <tsullivan@...> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > After arriving back from Austin, I have been under a deluge of lab reports that needed grading, along with email, and discussion forums in my online courses. From what I have graded thus far, I have learned three important things I thought worthy of passing along:
          > > > 1. "Women are more important to evolution because men are expandable." (Gosh, and I thought that was precisely why men are important as well, but we shall let it pass).
          > > > 2. "One of our main assets are dispensable thumbs." (That explains the penmanship)
          > > > And my favorite, from a discussion on bioethics:
          > > > 3. "Like it or not, genetics are part of pubic consciousness." (Of this, I am certain!).
          > > > Now, back to the grading!
          > > > Tim
          > > >

          > > > Timothy L. Sullivan, Ph.D.
          > > > Professor of Anthropology
          > > > Richland College
          > > > 12800 Abrams Rd.
          > > > Dallas, TX 75243
          > > >
          > > > 972-238-6959
          > > > tsullivan@...

        • Anthropmor
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 21, 2013
            I tell my students that spellcheck hates them, and autocorrect is spellchecks mean and sneaky sibling.
            Mike Pavlik

            Should have proofread... Damn autocorrect (different website)... I meant to say " I had a student who was very excited..."

            Oops.

            Erik

            Sent from my iPhone

            On Apr 20, 2013, at 1:17 PM, "Erik Ozolins" <eozolins@...> wrote:

            > This semester, I had a student Was bet excited to learn that we would be talking about how humans evolved from "Prime Apes". I guess he was worried that we might have evolved from some second class animals!
            >
            > Erik Ozolins
            >
            > Sent from my iPhone
            >
            > On Apr 19, 2013, at 8:37 AM, "Amanda" <paskeyA@...> wrote:
            >
            > > In the last few semesters, we've had a few doozies---my favorites so far are:
            > > disposable thumbs and prehensile molars
            > >
            > > --- In SACC-L@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Sullivan" <tsullivan@...> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > After arriving back from Austin, I have been under a deluge of lab reports that needed grading, along with email, and discussion forums in my online courses. From what I have graded thus far, I have learned three important things I thought worthy of passing along:
            > > > 1. "Women are more important to evolution because men are expandable." (Gosh, and I thought that was precisely why men are important as well, but we shall let it pass).
            > > > 2. "One of our main assets are dispensable thumbs." (That explains the penmanship)
            > > > And my favorite, from a discussion on bioethics:
            > > > 3. "Like it or not, genetics are part of pubic consciousness." (Of this, I am certain!).
            > > > Now, back to the grading!
            > > > Tim
            > > >

            > > > Timothy L. Sullivan, Ph.D.
            > > > Professor of Anthropology
            > > > Richland College
            > > > 12800 Abrams Rd.
            > > > Dallas, TX 75243
            > > >
            > > > 972-238-6959
            > > > tsullivan@...

          • Amanda
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 24, 2013
              I just learned that primates have adhesive body parts, which apparently helps them "stick vertically to trees"...
              The things you learn from students amazes me! I wish they would put this much effort and creativity in their assigned course work.....

              --- In SACC-L@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Sullivan" <tsullivan@...> wrote:

              > After arriving back from Austin, I have been under a deluge of lab reports that needed grading, along with email, and discussion forums in my online courses. From what I have graded thus far, I have learned three important things I thought worthy of passing along:
              > 1. "Women are more important to evolution because men are expandable." (Gosh, and I thought that was precisely why men are important as well, but we shall let it pass).
              > 2. "One of our main assets are dispensable thumbs." (That explains the penmanship)
              > And my favorite, from a discussion on bioethics:
              > 3. "Like it or not, genetics are part of pubic consciousness." (Of this, I am certain!).
              > Now, back to the grading!
              > Tim
              >

              > Timothy L. Sullivan, Ph.D.
              > Professor of Anthropology
              > Richland College
              > 12800 Abrams Rd.
              > Dallas, TX 75243
              >
              > 972-238-6959
              > tsullivan@...

            • KATRINA WORLEY
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 24, 2013
                My current contributions:
                Apes have WiFi molars
                Neandertals are "stalky"

                Katrina

                On Apr 24, 2013, at 8:25 AM, Amanda <paskeyA@...> wrote:

                > I just learned that primates have adhesive body parts, which apparently helps them "stick vertically to trees"...
                > The things you learn from students amazes me! I wish they would put this much effort and creativity in their assigned course work.....
                >
                > --- In SACC-L@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Sullivan" <tsullivan@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > After arriving back from Austin, I have been under a deluge of lab reports that needed grading, along with email, and discussion forums in my online courses. From what I have graded thus far, I have learned three important things I thought worthy of passing along:
                > > 1. "Women are more important to evolution because men are expandable." (Gosh, and I thought that was precisely why men are important as well, but we shall let it pass).
                > > 2. "One of our main assets are dispensable thumbs." (That explains the penmanship)
                > > And my favorite, from a discussion on bioethics:
                > > 3. "Like it or not, genetics are part of pubic consciousness." (Of this, I am certain!).
                > > Now, back to the grading!

              • Laura Gonzalez
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 24, 2013
                  My Neandertals are "stalky" every semester. Even when I note they Are. Not. Celery!!

                  L.