RE: [SACC-L] Three Things I Have Learned From Students

  • Bob Muckle
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 19, 2013
      I think a collection of quotes from student writing is an excellent idea. I suggest we keep a collection on the SACC web site. It could be a draw to the site, especially around grading times.

      Also, don't forget http://shitmystudentswrite.tumblr.com/ This site has funny examples of student writing from a wide variety of disciplines. A couple of days ago there was one relevant to anthropology, a quote about Levi-Strauss, the inventor of denim jeans.

      Bob

      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 19, 2013
        In the last few semesters, we've had a few doozies---my favorites so far are:
        disposable thumbs and prehensile molars

        --- In SACC-L@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Sullivan" <tsullivan@...> wrote:

        > After arriving back from Austin, I have been under a deluge of lab reports that needed grading, along with email, and discussion forums in my online courses. From what I have graded thus far, I have learned three important things I thought worthy of passing along:
        > 1. "Women are more important to evolution because men are expandable." (Gosh, and I thought that was precisely why men are important as well, but we shall let it pass).
        > 2. "One of our main assets are dispensable thumbs." (That explains the penmanship)
        > And my favorite, from a discussion on bioethics:
        > 3. "Like it or not, genetics are part of pubic consciousness." (Of this, I am certain!).
        > Now, back to the grading!
        > Tim
        >

        > Timothy L. Sullivan, Ph.D.
        > Professor of Anthropology
        > Richland College
        > 12800 Abrams Rd.
        > Dallas, TX 75243
        >
        > 972-238-6959
        > tsullivan@...

      • Erik Ozolins
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 20, 2013
          This semester, I had a student Was bet excited to learn that we would be talking about how humans evolved from "Prime Apes". I guess he was worried that we might have evolved from some second class animals!

          Erik Ozolins

          Sent from my iPhone

          On Apr 19, 2013, at 8:37 AM, "Amanda" <paskeyA@...> wrote:

          > In the last few semesters, we've had a few doozies---my favorites so far are:
          > disposable thumbs and prehensile molars
          >
          > --- In SACC-L@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Sullivan" <tsullivan@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > After arriving back from Austin, I have been under a deluge of lab reports that needed grading, along with email, and discussion forums in my online courses. From what I have graded thus far, I have learned three important things I thought worthy of passing along:
          > > 1. "Women are more important to evolution because men are expandable." (Gosh, and I thought that was precisely why men are important as well, but we shall let it pass).
          > > 2. "One of our main assets are dispensable thumbs." (That explains the penmanship)
          > > And my favorite, from a discussion on bioethics:
          > > 3. "Like it or not, genetics are part of pubic consciousness." (Of this, I am certain!).
          > > Now, back to the grading!
          > > Tim
          > >

          > > Timothy L. Sullivan, Ph.D.
          > > Professor of Anthropology
          > > Richland College
          > > 12800 Abrams Rd.
          > > Dallas, TX 75243
          > >
          > > 972-238-6959
          > > tsullivan@...

        • Erik Ozolins
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 20, 2013
            Should have proofread... Damn autocorrect (different website)... I meant to say " I had a student who was very excited..."

            Oops.

            Erik

            Sent from my iPhone

            On Apr 20, 2013, at 1:17 PM, "Erik Ozolins" <eozolins@...> wrote:

            > This semester, I had a student Was bet excited to learn that we would be talking about how humans evolved from "Prime Apes". I guess he was worried that we might have evolved from some second class animals!
            >
            > Erik Ozolins
            >
            > Sent from my iPhone
            >
            > On Apr 19, 2013, at 8:37 AM, "Amanda" <paskeyA@...> wrote:
            >
            > > In the last few semesters, we've had a few doozies---my favorites so far are:
            > > disposable thumbs and prehensile molars
            > >
            > > --- In SACC-L@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Sullivan" <tsullivan@...> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > After arriving back from Austin, I have been under a deluge of lab reports that needed grading, along with email, and discussion forums in my online courses. From what I have graded thus far, I have learned three important things I thought worthy of passing along:
            > > > 1. "Women are more important to evolution because men are expandable." (Gosh, and I thought that was precisely why men are important as well, but we shall let it pass).
            > > > 2. "One of our main assets are dispensable thumbs." (That explains the penmanship)
            > > > And my favorite, from a discussion on bioethics:
            > > > 3. "Like it or not, genetics are part of pubic consciousness." (Of this, I am certain!).
            > > > Now, back to the grading!
            > > > Tim
            > > >

            > > > Timothy L. Sullivan, Ph.D.
            > > > Professor of Anthropology
            > > > Richland College
            > > > 12800 Abrams Rd.
            > > > Dallas, TX 75243
            > > >
            > > > 972-238-6959
            > > > tsullivan@...

          • Anthropmor
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 21, 2013
              I tell my students that spellcheck hates them, and autocorrect is spellchecks mean and sneaky sibling.
              Mike Pavlik

              Should have proofread... Damn autocorrect (different website)... I meant to say " I had a student who was very excited..."

              Oops.

              Erik

              Sent from my iPhone

              On Apr 20, 2013, at 1:17 PM, "Erik Ozolins" <eozolins@...> wrote:

              > This semester, I had a student Was bet excited to learn that we would be talking about how humans evolved from "Prime Apes". I guess he was worried that we might have evolved from some second class animals!
              >
              > Erik Ozolins
              >
              > Sent from my iPhone
              >
              > On Apr 19, 2013, at 8:37 AM, "Amanda" <paskeyA@...> wrote:
              >
              > > In the last few semesters, we've had a few doozies---my favorites so far are:
              > > disposable thumbs and prehensile molars
              > >
              > > --- In SACC-L@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Sullivan" <tsullivan@...> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > After arriving back from Austin, I have been under a deluge of lab reports that needed grading, along with email, and discussion forums in my online courses. From what I have graded thus far, I have learned three important things I thought worthy of passing along:
              > > > 1. "Women are more important to evolution because men are expandable." (Gosh, and I thought that was precisely why men are important as well, but we shall let it pass).
              > > > 2. "One of our main assets are dispensable thumbs." (That explains the penmanship)
              > > > And my favorite, from a discussion on bioethics:
              > > > 3. "Like it or not, genetics are part of pubic consciousness." (Of this, I am certain!).
              > > > Now, back to the grading!
              > > > Tim
              > > >

              > > > Timothy L. Sullivan, Ph.D.
              > > > Professor of Anthropology
              > > > Richland College
              > > > 12800 Abrams Rd.
              > > > Dallas, TX 75243
              > > >
              > > > 972-238-6959
              > > > tsullivan@...

            • Amanda
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 24, 2013
                I just learned that primates have adhesive body parts, which apparently helps them "stick vertically to trees"...
                The things you learn from students amazes me! I wish they would put this much effort and creativity in their assigned course work.....

                --- In SACC-L@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Sullivan" <tsullivan@...> wrote:

                > After arriving back from Austin, I have been under a deluge of lab reports that needed grading, along with email, and discussion forums in my online courses. From what I have graded thus far, I have learned three important things I thought worthy of passing along:
                > 1. "Women are more important to evolution because men are expandable." (Gosh, and I thought that was precisely why men are important as well, but we shall let it pass).
                > 2. "One of our main assets are dispensable thumbs." (That explains the penmanship)
                > And my favorite, from a discussion on bioethics:
                > 3. "Like it or not, genetics are part of pubic consciousness." (Of this, I am certain!).
                > Now, back to the grading!
                > Tim
                >

                > Timothy L. Sullivan, Ph.D.
                > Professor of Anthropology
                > Richland College
                > 12800 Abrams Rd.
                > Dallas, TX 75243
                >
                > 972-238-6959
                > tsullivan@...

              • KATRINA WORLEY
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 24, 2013
                  My current contributions:
                  Apes have WiFi molars
                  Neandertals are "stalky"

                  Katrina

                  On Apr 24, 2013, at 8:25 AM, Amanda <paskeyA@...> wrote:

                  > I just learned that primates have adhesive body parts, which apparently helps them "stick vertically to trees"...
                  > The things you learn from students amazes me! I wish they would put this much effort and creativity in their assigned course work.....
                  >
                  > --- In SACC-L@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Sullivan" <tsullivan@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > After arriving back from Austin, I have been under a deluge of lab reports that needed grading, along with email, and discussion forums in my online courses. From what I have graded thus far, I have learned three important things I thought worthy of passing along:
                  > > 1. "Women are more important to evolution because men are expandable." (Gosh, and I thought that was precisely why men are important as well, but we shall let it pass).
                  > > 2. "One of our main assets are dispensable thumbs." (That explains the penmanship)
                  > > And my favorite, from a discussion on bioethics:
                  > > 3. "Like it or not, genetics are part of pubic consciousness." (Of this, I am certain!).
                  > > Now, back to the grading!

                • Laura Gonzalez
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 24, 2013
                    My Neandertals are "stalky" every semester. Even when I note they Are. Not. Celery!!

                    L.