Three Things I Have Learned From Students

  • Tim Sullivan
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 18, 2013
      After arriving back from Austin, I have been under a deluge of lab reports that needed grading, along with email, and discussion forums in my online courses. From what I have graded thus far, I have learned three important things I thought worthy of passing along:
      1. "Women are more important to evolution because men are expandable." (Gosh, and I thought that was precisely why men are important as well, but we shall let it pass).
      2. "One of our main assets are dispensable thumbs." (That explains the penmanship)
      And my favorite, from a discussion on bioethics:
      3. "Like it or not, genetics are part of pubic consciousness." (Of this, I am certain!).
      Now, back to the grading!
      Tim

      Timothy L. Sullivan, Ph.D.
      Professor of Anthropology
      Richland College
      12800 Abrams Rd.
      Dallas, TX 75243

      972-238-6959
      tsullivan@...
    • KATRINA WORLEY
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 18, 2013
        That's about as good as one of my students who put the anatomical adaptations to bipedalism into "lame man's terms"...

        On Apr 18, 2013, at 3:20 PM, Tim Sullivan <tsullivan@...> wrote:

        > After arriving back from Austin, I have been under a deluge of lab reports that needed grading, along with email, and discussion forums in my online courses. From what I have graded thus far, I have learned three important things I thought worthy of passing along:
        > 1. "Women are more important to evolution because men are expandable." (Gosh, and I thought that was precisely why men are important as well, but we shall let it pass).
        > 2. "One of our main assets are dispensable thumbs." (That explains the penmanship)
        > And my favorite, from a discussion on bioethics:
        > 3. "Like it or not, genetics are part of pubic consciousness." (Of this, I am certain!).
        > Now, back to the grading!
        > Tim .

      • Tim Sullivan
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 18, 2013
          We should start a collection of quotes.

          Timothy L. Sullivan, Ph.D.
          Professor of Anthropology
          Richland College
          12800 Abrams Rd.
          Dallas, TX 75243

          972-238-6959
          tsullivan@...

          On Apr 18, 2013, at 3:20 PM, Tim Sullivan wrote:

          > After arriving back from Austin, I have been under a deluge of lab reports that needed grading, along with email, and discussion forums in my online courses. From what I have graded thus far, I have learned three important things I thought worthy of passing along:
          > 1. "Women are more important to evolution because men are expandable." (Gosh, and I thought that was precisely why men are important as well, but we shall let it pass).
          > 2. "One of our main assets are dispensable thumbs." (That explains the penmanship)
          > And my favorite, from a discussion on bioethics:
          > 3. "Like it or not, genetics are part of pubic consciousness." (Of this, I am certain!).
          > Now, back to the grading!
          > Tim .

        • Bob Muckle
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 19, 2013
            I think a collection of quotes from student writing is an excellent idea. I suggest we keep a collection on the SACC web site. It could be a draw to the site, especially around grading times.

            Also, don't forget http://shitmystudentswrite.tumblr.com/ This site has funny examples of student writing from a wide variety of disciplines. A couple of days ago there was one relevant to anthropology, a quote about Levi-Strauss, the inventor of denim jeans.

            Bob

            That's about as good as one of my students who put the anatomical adaptations to bipedalism into "lame man's terms"...

            On Apr 18, 2013, at 3:20 PM, Tim Sullivan wrote:

            > After arriving back from Austin, I have been under a deluge of lab reports that needed grading, along with email, and discussion forums in my online courses. From what I have graded thus far, I have learned three important things I thought worthy of passing along:
            > 1. "Women are more important to evolution because men are expandable." (Gosh, and I thought that was precisely why men are important as well, but we shall let it pass).
            > 2. "One of our main assets are dispensable thumbs." (That explains the penmanship)
            > And my favorite, from a discussion on bioethics:
            > 3. "Like it or not, genetics are part of pubic consciousness." (Of this, I am certain!).
            > Now, back to the grading!
            > Tim .

          • Amanda
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 19, 2013
              In the last few semesters, we've had a few doozies---my favorites so far are:
              disposable thumbs and prehensile molars

              --- In SACC-L@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Sullivan" <tsullivan@...> wrote:

              > After arriving back from Austin, I have been under a deluge of lab reports that needed grading, along with email, and discussion forums in my online courses. From what I have graded thus far, I have learned three important things I thought worthy of passing along:
              > 1. "Women are more important to evolution because men are expandable." (Gosh, and I thought that was precisely why men are important as well, but we shall let it pass).
              > 2. "One of our main assets are dispensable thumbs." (That explains the penmanship)
              > And my favorite, from a discussion on bioethics:
              > 3. "Like it or not, genetics are part of pubic consciousness." (Of this, I am certain!).
              > Now, back to the grading!
              > Tim
              >

              > Timothy L. Sullivan, Ph.D.
              > Professor of Anthropology
              > Richland College
              > 12800 Abrams Rd.
              > Dallas, TX 75243
              >
              > 972-238-6959
              > tsullivan@...

            • Erik Ozolins
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 20, 2013
                This semester, I had a student Was bet excited to learn that we would be talking about how humans evolved from "Prime Apes". I guess he was worried that we might have evolved from some second class animals!

                Erik Ozolins

                Sent from my iPhone

                On Apr 19, 2013, at 8:37 AM, "Amanda" <paskeyA@...> wrote:

                > In the last few semesters, we've had a few doozies---my favorites so far are:
                > disposable thumbs and prehensile molars
                >
                > --- In SACC-L@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Sullivan" <tsullivan@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > After arriving back from Austin, I have been under a deluge of lab reports that needed grading, along with email, and discussion forums in my online courses. From what I have graded thus far, I have learned three important things I thought worthy of passing along:
                > > 1. "Women are more important to evolution because men are expandable." (Gosh, and I thought that was precisely why men are important as well, but we shall let it pass).
                > > 2. "One of our main assets are dispensable thumbs." (That explains the penmanship)
                > > And my favorite, from a discussion on bioethics:
                > > 3. "Like it or not, genetics are part of pubic consciousness." (Of this, I am certain!).
                > > Now, back to the grading!
                > > Tim
                > >

                > > Timothy L. Sullivan, Ph.D.
                > > Professor of Anthropology
                > > Richland College
                > > 12800 Abrams Rd.
                > > Dallas, TX 75243
                > >
                > > 972-238-6959
                > > tsullivan@...

              • Erik Ozolins
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 20, 2013
                  Should have proofread... Damn autocorrect (different website)... I meant to say " I had a student who was very excited..."

                  Oops.

                  Erik

                  Sent from my iPhone

                  On Apr 20, 2013, at 1:17 PM, "Erik Ozolins" <eozolins@...> wrote:

                  > This semester, I had a student Was bet excited to learn that we would be talking about how humans evolved from "Prime Apes". I guess he was worried that we might have evolved from some second class animals!
                  >
                  > Erik Ozolins
                  >
                  > Sent from my iPhone
                  >
                  > On Apr 19, 2013, at 8:37 AM, "Amanda" <paskeyA@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > In the last few semesters, we've had a few doozies---my favorites so far are:
                  > > disposable thumbs and prehensile molars
                  > >
                  > > --- In SACC-L@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Sullivan" <tsullivan@...> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > After arriving back from Austin, I have been under a deluge of lab reports that needed grading, along with email, and discussion forums in my online courses. From what I have graded thus far, I have learned three important things I thought worthy of passing along:
                  > > > 1. "Women are more important to evolution because men are expandable." (Gosh, and I thought that was precisely why men are important as well, but we shall let it pass).
                  > > > 2. "One of our main assets are dispensable thumbs." (That explains the penmanship)
                  > > > And my favorite, from a discussion on bioethics:
                  > > > 3. "Like it or not, genetics are part of pubic consciousness." (Of this, I am certain!).
                  > > > Now, back to the grading!
                  > > > Tim
                  > > >

                  > > > Timothy L. Sullivan, Ph.D.
                  > > > Professor of Anthropology
                  > > > Richland College
                  > > > 12800 Abrams Rd.
                  > > > Dallas, TX 75243
                  > > >
                  > > > 972-238-6959
                  > > > tsullivan@...

                • Anthropmor
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 21, 2013
                    I tell my students that spellcheck hates them, and autocorrect is spellchecks mean and sneaky sibling.
                    Mike Pavlik

                    Should have proofread... Damn autocorrect (different website)... I meant to say " I had a student who was very excited..."

                    Oops.

                    Erik

                    Sent from my iPhone

                    On Apr 20, 2013, at 1:17 PM, "Erik Ozolins" <eozolins@...> wrote:

                    > This semester, I had a student Was bet excited to learn that we would be talking about how humans evolved from "Prime Apes". I guess he was worried that we might have evolved from some second class animals!
                    >
                    > Erik Ozolins
                    >
                    > Sent from my iPhone
                    >
                    > On Apr 19, 2013, at 8:37 AM, "Amanda" <paskeyA@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > In the last few semesters, we've had a few doozies---my favorites so far are:
                    > > disposable thumbs and prehensile molars
                    > >
                    > > --- In SACC-L@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Sullivan" <tsullivan@...> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > After arriving back from Austin, I have been under a deluge of lab reports that needed grading, along with email, and discussion forums in my online courses. From what I have graded thus far, I have learned three important things I thought worthy of passing along:
                    > > > 1. "Women are more important to evolution because men are expandable." (Gosh, and I thought that was precisely why men are important as well, but we shall let it pass).
                    > > > 2. "One of our main assets are dispensable thumbs." (That explains the penmanship)
                    > > > And my favorite, from a discussion on bioethics:
                    > > > 3. "Like it or not, genetics are part of pubic consciousness." (Of this, I am certain!).
                    > > > Now, back to the grading!
                    > > > Tim
                    > > >

                    > > > Timothy L. Sullivan, Ph.D.
                    > > > Professor of Anthropology
                    > > > Richland College
                    > > > 12800 Abrams Rd.
                    > > > Dallas, TX 75243
                    > > >
                    > > > 972-238-6959
                    > > > tsullivan@...

                  • Amanda
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 24, 2013
                      I just learned that primates have adhesive body parts, which apparently helps them "stick vertically to trees"...
                      The things you learn from students amazes me! I wish they would put this much effort and creativity in their assigned course work.....

                      --- In SACC-L@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Sullivan" <tsullivan@...> wrote:

                      > After arriving back from Austin, I have been under a deluge of lab reports that needed grading, along with email, and discussion forums in my online courses. From what I have graded thus far, I have learned three important things I thought worthy of passing along:
                      > 1. "Women are more important to evolution because men are expandable." (Gosh, and I thought that was precisely why men are important as well, but we shall let it pass).
                      > 2. "One of our main assets are dispensable thumbs." (That explains the penmanship)
                      > And my favorite, from a discussion on bioethics:
                      > 3. "Like it or not, genetics are part of pubic consciousness." (Of this, I am certain!).
                      > Now, back to the grading!
                      > Tim
                      >

                      > Timothy L. Sullivan, Ph.D.
                      > Professor of Anthropology
                      > Richland College
                      > 12800 Abrams Rd.
                      > Dallas, TX 75243
                      >
                      > 972-238-6959
                      > tsullivan@...

                    • KATRINA WORLEY
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 24, 2013
                        My current contributions:
                        Apes have WiFi molars
                        Neandertals are "stalky"

                        Katrina

                        On Apr 24, 2013, at 8:25 AM, Amanda <paskeyA@...> wrote:

                        > I just learned that primates have adhesive body parts, which apparently helps them "stick vertically to trees"...
                        > The things you learn from students amazes me! I wish they would put this much effort and creativity in their assigned course work.....
                        >
                        > --- In SACC-L@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Sullivan" <tsullivan@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > After arriving back from Austin, I have been under a deluge of lab reports that needed grading, along with email, and discussion forums in my online courses. From what I have graded thus far, I have learned three important things I thought worthy of passing along:
                        > > 1. "Women are more important to evolution because men are expandable." (Gosh, and I thought that was precisely why men are important as well, but we shall let it pass).
                        > > 2. "One of our main assets are dispensable thumbs." (That explains the penmanship)
                        > > And my favorite, from a discussion on bioethics:
                        > > 3. "Like it or not, genetics are part of pubic consciousness." (Of this, I am certain!).
                        > > Now, back to the grading!

                      • Laura Gonzalez
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 24, 2013
                          My Neandertals are "stalky" every semester. Even when I note they Are. Not. Celery!!

                          L.