Re: [SACC-L] Gorillas visit camp

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 17 3:04 PM
      That's amazing; what a treat! I was so impressed with the researcher's ability to remain still and calm throughout the "close encounters." I wonder what his heart rate was during it all.
      Lloyd

      On Apr 17, 2013, at 4:44 PM, Dorothy Davis wrote:

      > They could certainly go to town on your hair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      > Silver top!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      >

      > On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 7:45 AM, <dianne.chidester@...> wrote:
      >
      >> **
      >>

      >> I mentioned this clip to several folks in Austin. Thought you might enjoy
      >> seeing it. The gorillas visit the camp from time to time.
      >>
      >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ke2mcPHgEQ
      >>
      >> Cheers!
      >> Dianne
      >>
      >> Dianne Lynn Chidester, Assistant Professor
      >> Anthropology & Sociology
      >> Greenville Technical College
      >> P.O. Box 5616 MS 1042
      >> Greenville, SC 29606-5616
      >> 864-250-8729
      >>
      >> "You've got to be taught to hate and fear
      >> You've got to be taught from year to year
      >> It's got to be drummed in your dear little ear
      >> You've got to be carefully taught"
      >> --Rodgers & Hammerstein South Pacific
      >>
      >> [cid:image001.png@01CE3B3F.7C3A5860]
      >>
      >> ----------
      >>
      >> This electronic mail message is for the sole use of the intended
      >> recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any
      >> unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you
      >> are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email
      >> and destroy all copies of the original message. To the best of our ability
      >> and knowledge, this mail message has been scanned and is free of viruses
      >> and malware.

    • Andrew Petto
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 17 6:08 PM
        Well, Lloyd, you know that all the books say that when encountering a
        gorilla one show look down, not make eye contact, remain still, move
        slowly, and adopt a hunched-over (subordinate) posture. The researcher
        did it by the book.

        But, I will bet that he was wondering the whole time if the gorilla had
        read the same book!

        Anj

        On 2013-04-17 17:04, Lloyd Miller wrote:

        > That's amazing; what a treat! I was so impressed with the researcher's
        > ability to remain still and calm throughout the "close encounters." I
        > wonder what his heart rate was during it all.
        > Lloyd
        >
        > On Apr 17, 2013, at 4:44 PM, Dorothy Davis wrote:
        >
        > > They could certainly go to town on your
        > hair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        > > Silver top!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        > >

        > > On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 7:45 AM, <dianne.chidester@...
        > <mailto:dianne.chidester%40gvltec.edu>> wrote:
        > >
        > >> **
        > >>

        > >> I mentioned this clip to several folks in Austin. Thought you might
        > enjoy
        > >> seeing it. The gorillas visit the camp from time to time.
        > >>
        > >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ke2mcPHgEQ
        > >>
        > >> Cheers!
        > >> Dianne
        > >>
        > >> Dianne Lynn Chidester, Assistant Professor
        > >> Anthropology & Sociology
        > >> Greenville Technical College
        > >> P.O. Box 5616 MS 1042
        > >> Greenville, SC 29606-5616
        > >> 864-250-8729
        > >>
        > >> "You've got to be taught to hate and fear
        > >> You've got to be taught from year to year
        > >> It's got to be drummed in your dear little ear
        > >> You've got to be carefully taught"
        > >> --Rodgers & Hammerstein South Pacific
        > >>
        > >> [cid:image001.png@01CE3B3F.7C3A5860
        > <mailto:image001.png%4001CE3B3F.7C3A5860>]
        > >>
        > >> ----------
        > >>
        > >> This electronic mail message is for the sole use of the intended
        > >> recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged
        > information. Any
        > >> unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.
        > If you
        > >> are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply
        > email
        > >> and destroy all copies of the original message. To the best of our
        > ability
        > >> and knowledge, this mail message has been scanned and is free of
        > viruses
        > >> and malware.

        Andrew J Petto, PhD
        Senior Lecturer
        Department of Biological Sciences
        University of Wisconsin -- Milwaukee
        PO Box 413
        Milwaukee WI 53201-0413
        CapTel Line: 1-877-243-2823
        Telephone: 414-229-6784
        FAX: 414-229-3926

        Could you be a teacher?

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 18 5:25 AM
          Actually, this guy was not a researcher. He's just a gorilla lover at a tourist camp! Evidently he has gone to the camp several times. Zegrahm Expeditions is the tour company. John King is the tourist (or the exhibit?).

          Here's a clip from another angle with a bit more introduction.

          I guess this one would be too expensive for SACCfest!

          Cheers!

          Dianne

          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvWjBlzArII