Re: [SACC-L] Online Learning

  • Ann Bragdon
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 17 8:00 PM
      This sounds like a good discussion to develop at our meeting in Austin
      .
      In Texas the entire "core curriculum" is being "re-vamped".
      We are spending hours preparing applications with justifications,
      rubrics, assessments, etc. getting through the process of applying to
      have courses accepted into the new core... which is at the our college
      system level and then, and ultimately, it is the State that will
      determine yes or no...

      This is exhausting and takes time from critical teaching tasks ...

    • frank lagana
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 18 11:30 AM
        > Right on! I have always considered objectives and outcomes in my
        > teaching, but it was a personal thing between and my students. My
        > objection to SLOs--and I have stated this on numerous occasions--is
        > that it will lead to course standardization.

        What irritated me most about SLOs was that they were usually mandated by
        administrators who had never stood in front of a classroom themselves and
        had no idea of the realities that we face every day in a community college
        context. Of course, this is all headed in the direction of course
        standardization. And i'm sure we'll need more and more administrators to
        oversee the process.

        frank
        --
        *Keep an open mind - but not so open that your brains fall out.*

        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 18 5:45 PM
          Frank! SLO’s????? Once we use these corporate symbols as if they are “rubrics” (a list of corporate normative symbols and standards that the workers MUST USE OR ...) we have become avatar faculty. If the rubrics are from shared governance then faculty have led the study, testing, and validating of their use. Yes, my dear colleagues, the political context of these decisions is often forgotten in faculty discussions and that just shows how faculty too often insist on discussion of our role in the academic culture as if it does not require political work! The AAUP traditional “Red Book” used to be and should be returned as a guide for policy analysis from an acceptance of an academic culture of shared governance. We are professional who can only perform our professional role from acceptance of “turf” with faculty empowered to lead in the areas of curricula and instruction. In my college that included the President joining AAUP and accepting Red Book principles which we used to sort out issues. When administration used “financial exigency” and changed it to blatant manipulation of budgets to dominate hiring (instruction) and flattened full-time contract growth while rapidly increasing (and controlling) hiring non-contractual, non-unionized ‘part-time’ faculty, we lost our role, and we all lost American academic culture. (I do not have to even bring up how curricula became dominated by admin. controlled MBO, Levels 1,2,3 Objectives, TQM, CQI, Achieve the Dream, STEM, SLO’s (?) and more executive moves to control curricula as well as budget. Just as the medical professional culture replaced doctors as empowered professionals with insurance companies controlling deregulated medical finances, doctors now follow the corporate ‘point system’ or lose their financial stability; drug companies simply control the political arena through deregulated lobbying of our ‘elected’ (read bribed) ‘representatives’...so, as an adjunct working at my former community college to teach my own created course, I now work for faculty who ignore collegial interaction and do what the rubrics tell them to do, and keep only the contractual culture of full-timer, ignoring the teaching plebes. It will be very interesting if I am designated as “emeritus” while teaching as an adjunct...status inconsistency with a special parking place...wow!

          > Right on! I have always considered objectives and outcomes in my
          > teaching, but it was a personal thing between and my students. My
          > objection to SLOs--and I have stated this on numerous occasions--is
          > that it will lead to course standardization.

          What irritated me most about SLOs was that they were usually mandated by
          administrators who had never stood in front of a classroom themselves and
          had no idea of the realities that we face every day in a community college
          context. Of course, this is all headed in the direction of course
          standardization. And i'm sure we'll need more and more administrators to
          oversee the process.

          frank
          --
          *Keep an open mind - but not so open that your brains fall out.*

        • Anthropmor
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 19 6:59 AM
            In addition a "Student Success" plan has been pushed through - with a focus on "core classes" that guarantees a transfer to the California State University system. What this has accomplished is the elimination of a broader range of classes from being offered

            this is going on in Illinois, as well
            Mike Pavlik

            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 19 9:38 AM
              This “Student Success” phrase is another corporate brand that was pushed out into the standardized national education scene by the Gates Foundation a few years ago, with the ever present corporate front man for community colleges, Mark Milliron! Google this guy sometime and look at what he has had his finger into and you will see where about half of these branded programs for faculty come from...Cuyahoga’s President Thornton (finally retiring, after chairing the last AACC white paper commission on our community college future: “Achieve the Dream”, Student Success, more wealthy suburban cc district campuses, fewer resources “wasted” on the inner city and poor rural campuses as they are ‘too inefficient’ in percentage of “successful graduates”, (so just build where the wealthy live so they can see where their tax money goes and gets “success”). Mission? What Mission?, Close that door, when it is open I feel the draft of poor women going in and out of their community college classes, taking 8 years of persistence because they do not have day care, do not have easy access medical care even in Obama’s half-a-loaf medical plan, and have too little from federal grants and college tuition plans to pay off owed fees every term, and are now dropped for non-payment.

              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 19 12:01 PM
                >In addition a "Student Success" plan has been pushed through - with a
                >focus on "core classes" that guarantees a transfer to the California State
                >University system. What this has accomplished is the elimination of a
                >broader range of classes from being offered
                --

                Something very similar is also going on at the City University of NY; it's
                called "Pathways". Same general strategy; reduce the number of hours in

                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 19 12:03 PM
                  On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 3:01 PM, frank lagana <frank11217@...> wrote:

                  > >In addition a "Student Success" plan has been pushed through - with a
                  > >focus on "core classes" that guarantees a transfer to the California State
                  > >University system. What this has accomplished is the elimination of a
                  > >broader range of classes from being offered
                  > --
                  >
                  > Something very similar is also going on at the City University of NY; it's
                  > called "Pathways". Same general strategy; reduce the number of hours in
                  > required courses at the system's community colleges, cut down on electives,
                  > etc. All presented of course as in the best interests of the students.
                  >
                  > frank
                  > *Keep an open mind - but not so open that your brains fall out.*

                  --
                  *Keep an open mind - but not so open that your brains fall out.*

                • Ninivaggi, Cynthia
                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 19 12:55 PM
                    Mark, do you keep an education blog? If you do I'd love to follow it. Great points here.

                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 19 1:12 PM
                      Thanks, Cynthia! No, I am in the most exhausting 7 day work week that I have ever had...in retirement no less...care-giving for my loved partner Sally who has PD (Parkinson’s Disease) with panic attacks for a little extra kick to the symptom blend...

                      On 2013-03-17 12:43, Philip Stein wrote:

                      > Here is a very interesting article on MOOCs from the latest issue of
                      > Nature.
                      >
                      > Online learning: Campus 2.0
                      >
                      > http://www.nature.com/news/online-learning-campus-2-0-1.12590

                      Andrew J Petto, PhD
                      Senior Lecturer
                      Department of Biological Sciences
                      University of Wisconsin -- Milwaukee
                      PO Box 413
                      Milwaukee WI 53201-0413
                      CapTel Line: 1-877-243-2823
                      Telephone: 414-229-6784
                      FAX: 414-229-3926

                      Could you be a teacher?

                    • Amanda
                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 20 2:51 PM
                        Just to add more information on the plan alluded to below....I am a part of the group that created the AA-T (AA for transfer) for Anthropology in California. As required by Senate Bill 1440, passed a few years ago, a better transition was needed between CSU and CCs...so, CCs devised a plan to create these transfer degrees, in partnership with the CSUs. Each committee had members from the discipline: 3 CC reps and 3 CSU reps, and was chaired by a CC faculty member. We also had an articulation office from the CC on our committee. Working together, we tried to come up with a degree that would meet all parties needs. The limitation, was that a majority of the courses included in the degree needed to be articulated into major prep at the CSU. In CA (and I'm sure in other states as well), the 3 core classes are usually what is all that is required at the lower division level. We were able to add electives from Anthro to the discipline, along with a few other things. These degrees are supposed to guarantee a student admission to a CSU (not necessarily their choice CSU, but a CSU). While it is not perfect, we did have to comply with the law, and I personally feel better that we had some say in this, rather than being told how this law would be implemented.

                        Amanda

                        P.S. BTW- Hi! That was my first post on here! What a way to jump in, eh? :-)

                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 20 3:00 PM
                          Welcome Amanda -
                          of course, we prefer having some say - and of course we have to comply with the law...it is just that fear and anger create bad laws, and there should be some input at multiple points along the way, instead of just dumping a huge edict on someone (like you).
                          I'm sure you did a good job , of what was asked of you - it would have been nice if you got to guide the developing system more earlier in the process.
                          Mike Pavlik

                          Just to add more information on the plan alluded to below....I am a part of the group that created the AA-T (AA for transfer) for Anthropology in California. As required by Senate Bill 1440, passed a few years ago, a better transition was needed between CSU and CCs...so, CCs devised a plan to create these transfer degrees, in partnership with the CSUs. Each committee had members from the discipline: 3 CC reps and 3 CSU reps, and was chaired by a CC faculty member. We also had an articulation office from the CC on our committee. Working together, we tried to come up with a degree that would meet all parties needs. The limitation, was that a majority of the courses included in the degree needed to be articulated into major prep at the CSU. In CA (and I'm sure in other states as well), the 3 core classes are usually what is all that is required at the lower division level. We were able to add electives from Anthro to the discipline, along with a few other things. Th ese degrees are supposed to guarantee a student admission to a CSU (not necessarily their choice CSU, but a CSU). While it is not perfect, we did have to comply with the law, and I personally feel better that we had some say in this, rather than being told how this law would be implemented.

                          Amanda

                          P.S. BTW- Hi! That was my first post on here! What a way to jump in, eh? :-)

                          --- In SACC-L@yahoogroups.com, Anthropmor <anthropmor@...> wrote:

                          > In addition a "Student Success" plan has been pushed through - with a focus on "core classes" that guarantees a transfer to the California State University system. What this has accomplished is the elimination of a broader range of classes from being offered
                          >
                          > this is going on in Illinois, as well
                          > Mike Pavlik

                        • Laura Gonzalez
                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 20 8:09 PM
                            If I'm not mistaken, Amanda, you and your colleagues who worked on this transfer curriculum's role was to see what the CSUs already accepted and write the transfer curriculum to match as best as possible.

                            I looked into this as well, after being contacted by some Linguistic Anthropology faculty who were concerned that there weren't any Ling Anth courses required as part of the transfer degree. The reason for that was that the CSU system either didn't offer Ling Anth or didn't accept it as a transferable course that articulated. It can be used as an elective, but there were only a few courses that could be mandated for transfer.

                            In order for anyone to have gotten in "earlier in the process" we would have had to help develop the CSU degrees.

                            I'm really glad that we had a SACCer work on the transfer curriculum, though. That is a good thing to know.

                            Laura

                          • Lynch, Brian M
                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 21 9:57 AM
                              I am writing this from the midst of a sabbatical, and while on a visit to the office of a colleague in Minnesota with whom I have had a 10-year dialogue on learning outcomes assessment. I believe it was at an SACC annual conference in 2006 (Savannah) where I gave a session on learning assessment-- which has been a key focus for my work as full-time faculty, faculty-development coordinator, and learning-assessment catalyst for nearly 20 years. I remember clearly the very mixed reception I got at an otherwise very collegial gathering, as I engaged colleagues in Savannah in discussion about something very anthropological-- learning how to pay attention to, and gather evidence within groups of people to understand them better in their lives: in this case the "groups" would be students-faculty. Over the intervening years I have worked with colleagues on learning assessment, with the notion that there is great ongoing value in learning effective ways to observe the behavior of such groups, not to just see them in their "ethnographic present," nor as static collections of individuals, nor as people who produce static collections of artifacts (in this case, papers, projects, presentations, surveys, artwork, video presentations etc.) , but to try and understand them in their 'subjectivity,' in relation to their networks, their choices, the development of their abilities, their goals.... Not to 'fetishize' or 'commodify" their productions, but to understand them in a more dynamic way as reflections of value, of attainment, of "currency."

                              My approach is to understand the teaching/learning endeavor as, in the framing that Freire, an inter-subjective engagement, calling for inter-subjective reflection; learning assessment that respects this inter-subjectivity can, in his terms, be liberating.

                              Our states now seem to be on an accelerating track to put things in place that define 1)learning outcomes and 2)learning assessment, in some type of clear terms... To the examples cited already in this thread you can and the State of Connecticut, and its Transfer and Articulation Program which has recently been set up to define a framework of learning standards and expected learning outcomes, within which transfer and articulation between institutions would be defined. Add to this picture the news in the past 48 hours or so that officials at the Federal level are now encouraging institutions to begin thinking about programs (degrees) as defined by expected learning outcomes rather than by the magic "credit hour." Here we go!

                              Back in 2006 I was saying to my SACC colleagues that now is the time for us as faculty, with a concern for teaching and learning, to own what would be the best of approaches to learning assessment (and we as anthropologists could give some interesting examples, as professionals who claim the identity of holistic participant observers-- in the cultural field-- or the contexualizers of artifacts --in the physical/archaeological fields.) If we still have a window of opportunity to take at this point, it may be quickly passing. Principled resistance in the name of "teaching and learning" might be personally satisfying, but now seems even more likely to result in self-fulfilling prophecy about the imposition of reductive, unacceptable standards and practices by outside authorities. The federal government is stepping increasingly into the picture of accreditation, as felt by and expressed by our regional accrediting bodies. Competition from both accredited and non-accredited private (for profit) institutions who claim to "do a better job of assessment" further push us in challenging directions.

                              Among other things, it seems to me that our national associations (SACC included) could play an important role in addressing this situation, by addressing standards of learning related to our discipline (and in dialogue with related disciplines), sharing widely and quite publicly examples of effective uses of learning assessment.... and more. The hoof beats on the horizon that I mentioned to colleagues in Savannah in 2006 are now thundering-- and the breath of the stampede can be felt on our backs. Where do we go with this?

                              Brian

                              Message 14 of 19 , Mar 22 10:18 AM
                                Yes, we were a bit constrained by what the CSUs already offer-- and as we all know, there is little agreement among the CSU Anthro folks about what should included in a degree! Linguistics is a required component of the major at 2 CSUs I believe, including my local CSU (Sacramento). I do believe that the intention of the senate bill was to get both groups, CC and CSU to think about their degree requirements, but so far, it seems like we are the only ones doing that.
                                Amanda