Re: [SACC-L] California: Leading(???) the Way in Online Education and Digital Textbooks

    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 16, 2013
      Think over 100,000 students in several courses, Phil--one from Stanford. I'm sending you my article on this.
      Lloyd

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 16, 2013
        This reminds me of the "large group instruction" vs. "small group classes
        with emphasis on group dynamics and instructor-student interaction" debates
        that went on in the '70's when enrollment within community colleges was
        rapidly growing, and we began adapting by raising class sizes and building
        more campuses in suburbs of cities with justifications that began to move
        our core values away from proactive social democratic access to higher
        education and shifting to administrative supported justification from
        selective data to show that the "measurable outcomes from objective tests
        show no significant differences between large and small class sizes." With
        regard to telecourses, web classes and other such technologically supported
        individualized learning, the same kind of "data drive" selective arguments
        are being brought forth to avoid the necessary regulation of class sizes for
        these courses. As a professor who enthusiastically learned and applied new
        technologies to my teaching load, including telecourses and web courses, I
        can assure you that these applications of technology if well-planned and
        carefully constructed by knowledgeable faculty who read and apply the
        research available for best practices for web and other such classes,
        require a small class size for 'timely intervention' in the learning process
        for all but a very small percentage of student learners. Yes, there are some
        mature self-confident, and well prepared students from cultural backgrounds
        that highly value individualism who can thrive in isolated individualized
        learning, but they are rare. Most web class learners, particularly from the
        past few generations, need and want constructed learning opportunities for
        social communication among classmates in DBoards, for interactive seminars,
        for web-based or phone office contact with the professor, and ever more new
        applications of social media applied to these classes that need faculty
        leadership and attention. A high quality web class is more labor-intensive
        than a traditional lecture class, and now that I am working at a university
        with professors who lack almost any knowledge base for web courses and have
        strong emotionally-based commitments to traditional lecture classes and do
        not want to listen to arguments about generations of learners who are MORE
        engaged and interactive in web courses than lecture classes. I think it is
        a 'simple' (hah) matter of controlling class sizes and restoring faculty
        led involvement in curricular development and regulation.