Re: [SACC-L] California: Leading(???) the Way in Online Education and Digital Textbooks

  • Laura Gonzalez
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 16, 2013
      Right. I will let you know!

      Sent from my iPhone

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 16, 2013
        Think over 100,000 students in several courses, Phil--one from Stanford. I'm sending you my article on this.
        Lloyd

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 16, 2013
          This reminds me of the "large group instruction" vs. "small group classes
          with emphasis on group dynamics and instructor-student interaction" debates
          that went on in the '70's when enrollment within community colleges was
          rapidly growing, and we began adapting by raising class sizes and building
          more campuses in suburbs of cities with justifications that began to move
          our core values away from proactive social democratic access to higher
          education and shifting to administrative supported justification from
          selective data to show that the "measurable outcomes from objective tests
          show no significant differences between large and small class sizes." With
          regard to telecourses, web classes and other such technologically supported
          individualized learning, the same kind of "data drive" selective arguments
          are being brought forth to avoid the necessary regulation of class sizes for
          these courses. As a professor who enthusiastically learned and applied new
          technologies to my teaching load, including telecourses and web courses, I
          can assure you that these applications of technology if well-planned and
          carefully constructed by knowledgeable faculty who read and apply the
          research available for best practices for web and other such classes,
          require a small class size for 'timely intervention' in the learning process
          for all but a very small percentage of student learners. Yes, there are some
          mature self-confident, and well prepared students from cultural backgrounds
          that highly value individualism who can thrive in isolated individualized
          learning, but they are rare. Most web class learners, particularly from the
          past few generations, need and want constructed learning opportunities for
          social communication among classmates in DBoards, for interactive seminars,
          for web-based or phone office contact with the professor, and ever more new
          applications of social media applied to these classes that need faculty
          leadership and attention. A high quality web class is more labor-intensive
          than a traditional lecture class, and now that I am working at a university
          with professors who lack almost any knowledge base for web courses and have
          strong emotionally-based commitments to traditional lecture classes and do
          not want to listen to arguments about generations of learners who are MORE
          engaged and interactive in web courses than lecture classes. I think it is
          a 'simple' (hah) matter of controlling class sizes and restoring faculty
          led involvement in curricular development and regulation.