Re: [SACC-L] Chicago SACCers

    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 13, 2013
      Thanks for stepping forward Beverly...I would love to know if there is any central data center for all public community colleges in Chicago.

      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 14, 2013
        There is no central place for data on all of the city community colleges. There are seven individually accredited colleges which are part of a single district: Daley College, Harold Washington College, Kennedy King College, Malcolm X College, Olive Harvey College, Truman College, and Wilbur Wright College. There is a full-time person at Harold Washington College named Maria Fregoso, a full time person at Truman College named Joshua Jones, and a full time person at Kennedy King College named Bonnie Harrison (who may still be on maternity leave). I think there's also someone at Malcolm X, but I don't know the name there--I think it might be Edward Davis, who is an inter-disciplinary African/African American Studies guy. I can't remember if his focus is history or anthropology, but I can find out. Beverly and I are the two full-timers at Wright College. Daley and Olive Harvey don't have a full time anthropologist.

        Do we want to include adjuncts in this? I suspect that there might be several who would be interested and willing to participate.

        Since I'm a little unclear on what exactly we're trying to do, I'd have a hard time inviting folks. Give me a little bit more clarity and I'd be happy to craft an invitation to the other City Colleges of Chicago (CCC) anthro people.

        Sydney

        Sydney Hart, Ph.D.

        Co-Chair, Social Sciences Department

        Assistant Professor, Anthropology and Sociology

        Wilbur Wright College

        4300 North Narragansett Avenue

        Chicago, Illinois 60634

        ________________________________
        Thanks for stepping forward Beverly...I would love to know if there is any central data center for all public community colleges in Chicago.

        There's also a full-time anthropologist at Harold Washington College, as of a couple years ago at least. Can't remember her name.

        Beverly

        > Mark, or a contact you might talk to there about the
        > outreach project?
        > Laura
        >
        > On Mar 12, 2013, at 6:42 PM, Mark Lewine wrote:
        >
        > Let�s make sure that we get a source for the Chicago inner
        > city cc anthro profs who for some reason rarely if ever
        > connected with SACC or AAA, even though DuPage was our core
        > campus at the beginning and for years after. I would love to
        > even know if there are full-time Anthro profs out of Chicago
        > campuses like Malcolm X...

      • Anthropmor
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 14, 2013
          I'm an adjunct...I didn't know that would disqualify me.
          Mike Pavlik

[...]

          rom: SACC-L@yahoogroups.com [SACC-L@yahoogroups.com] on behalf of Mark Lewine
          mlewine@...]
          ent: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 11:23 PM
          o: SACC-L@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 14, 2013
            Terrific information Sydney, very helpful...if we could get every major city in each state to do this kind of list...we would have our needed data base...and Mike, as I have returned to my former adjunct status (for my first five years, and my wife’s 27 years) and received unbelievably disrespectful treatment by the non-tenured full-time faculty and from the staff of my current university ‘home’ without office, I fully understand the feelings involved in that status.

[...]

            rom: mailto:SACC-L%40yahoogroups.com [mailto:SACC-L%40yahoogroups.com] on behalf of Mark Lewine
            mailto:mlewine%40wowway.com]

            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 14, 2013
              Hi, Mike and Chicago SACCers:

              First, let me apologize--in no way do I want to exclude adjuncts from any project! I can see how what I wrote led you to think I might be excluding adjuncts based on where I placed the sentence about adjuncts. My apologies for that--it was a poor cut-and-paste choice on my part. That sentence originally was in the last paragraph about crafting an invitation to CCC people and I should have left it there so as not to change its meaning. I wasn't assuming that anyone would be excluded because they're an adjunct--I was responding to a question about full-time folks at CCC and my intent with that sentence was to ask about including CCC adjuncts in an informative e-mail inviting participation.

              Second - it will be a big job to find and include all of the adjuncts at CCC, but I think it is worth the time and I'm willing to work on this. Because we've got two full time people at Wright, we only have one adjunct in anthro., but I'm guessing he might be interested. He, too, has kids in Chicago public schools!

              Finally - I still need a bit more clarity on what we're trying to do. Are we trying to add courses at the high school level? Introduce some new content at the elementary school level? Train interested CPS teachers? Help CPS teachers draw on the expertise of local anthropologists? Address gaps in the curriculum (I don't even want to tell you about the Native American learning projects my kid did in elementary school--even though we have the American Indian Center in the city and they would probably be happy to help with curriculum issues)? Provide anthropological experiences to inner city kids? Help schools create anthropology clubs? Educate CPS administration? The need is so great :)

              rom: SACC-L@yahoogroups.com<mailto:SACC-L%40yahoogroups.com> [SACC-L@yahoogroups.com<mailto:SACC-L%40yahoogroups.com>] on behalf of Mark Lewine
              mlewine@...<mailto:mlewine%40wowway.com>]

              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 14, 2013
                It seems to me that adjuncts (aka ad-hocs, provisionals, and other
                euphemisms for underpaid and overworked) instructors ought to be
                included in the planning process and in the final project to the extent
                that they can manage.

                Just because the academic institutions do not value them appropriately
                in proportion to their contributions to the academic mission does not
                mean that we should not ... IMNSHO (says he who spend 14 years in
                adjunct positions).

                and, to follow up on Mark's comments ... yes; the model that I am basing
                this on comes from the AAPA education committee that has been doing a
                meeting-city program fro teachers for the past 10 years or so. The
                success of the program is quite good on the day it is held (who wouldn't
                want to handle fossil casts?), but the success of the ongoing outreach
                in those cities depends a lot on the anthropologists and teachers who
                are located in the immediate area. So, it seems to me that building a
                strong team in Chicago would benefit from the participation of all those
                in the area who are willing and able.

                ANj

                --

                Andrew J Petto, PhD
                Senior Lecturer

                Could you be a teacher?

              • Andrew Petto
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 14, 2013
                  Just a quick note:

                  I have created a separate list-serve for people who want to discuss the
                  details of the planning and execution of the SACC effort at the AAA in
                  Chicago. This is just to east the traffic on SACC-L (and keep the boring
                  details of the main list), so it is technically a "members-only" list
                  ... that is, I have to put you on the membership list for the outreach
                  planning in order for you to post to that list and in order to read what
                  is going on there.

                  I have no objection to having ANYone from SACC join that list; it is a
                  simple matter to add (or delete) you, as it best serves your interest.

                  The main point is this: if members of the list also post their messages
                  to SACC-L and then non-members click on REPLY ALL, then the message will
                  appear on SACC-L, but will "bounce" from the outreach list-serve.

                  Again, some of the issues on the outreach planning are general issues of
                  interest to the general membership, and it is appropriate for all to see
                  them. Others are more specific to the details of how we might plan a
                  specific event at a specific venue and not likely to interest people
                  "outside of our small circle of friends" (with apologies to Phil Ochs).

                  My plan is to let SACC-L know from time to time what we are up to ...
                  when there is something concrete to support.

                  In the meantime, if your in-box is not full enough, I would be willing
                  to set you up to get the list-serve messages; and I can set it up so
                  that you get digest access or other sorts of options that will mitigate
                  the force of the email tsunami.

                  Anj

                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 14, 2013
                    sorry Sydney - Thanks Mark.