RE: [SACC-L] Changes in Public Higher Education?

  • Patricia Hamlen
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 13, 2013
      Tim
      I loved that book! Enjoying this discussion on "quality education" as I am so angry and frustrated with the turn our educational system is taking, it's sad really, but predictable in a society that is so driven by capitalism and short term profitability.
      Pat

      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 13, 2013
        For some satire relevant to this issue, I recommend viewing (or re-visiting) the movie, TEACHERS, co-starring Nick Nolte, Jo Beth Williams, Ralph Maccio and Judd Hirsch, among others. I have it on tape and recently viewed it for the umpteenth time. Though made in the late 1980s, it was prescient to the educational times we're experiencing now.
        Lloyd

      • frank lagana
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 13, 2013
          >This is a classic example of neoliberal (or neoconservative) policy.

          Seems to me that what the ruling class really wants is a docile workforce
          to staff the call centers of the future. Critical thinking? The last time
          we tried that we got the 60's; the elite certainly doesn't want a repeat of
          that.

          frank

        • Tim Sullivan
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 13, 2013
            Hi Pat,
            There are times I take heart and see a reason for hope, and then I get pulled back with stuff like this. Ah well, we plod along......
            Are you coming to Austin?
            Take care,
            Tim
            Timothy L. Sullivan, Ph.D.
            Professor of Anthropology
            Richland College
            12800 Abrams Rd.
            Dallas, TX 75243

            972-238-6959
            tsullivan@...

            tsullivan@...>>> Jill Schennum > 3/13/2013 1:42 PM >>>

            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 13, 2013
              And yet, managers (probably just the middle managers) complain often that
              young workers can't analyze problems and lack even the most basic
              information about the world. Eventually, these skills and facts are going to
              be necessary in any job. So, maybe Lloyd is right (see his SACCNotes
              Commentary). If we could let them do without the liberal arts education,
              eventually they'd come back and demand it. Unfortunately, from where will
              the teachers come once the current ones have dispersed?

              Deborah

              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 13, 2013
                You bet! Can't wait to see everyone!

                tsullivan@...<mailto:tsullivan%40dcccd.edu>>>> Jill Schennum > 3/13/2013 1:42 PM >>>
                Dear All:

                This is a classic example of neoliberal (or neoconservative) policy. First, slash public funding to the California schools to the point that the schools simply cannot accept all the students who apply. Then, argue that because the California community college student cannot accomodate all the demand, it is necessary to implement a system of giving credit for "free" MOOCs and publisher-designed courses. Then, begin to get rid of more and more community college faculty, and produce a worse, and worse quality of education for students.

                Community college unions across the country should take note of this and get to work on figuring out how to oppose it.

                Jill Schennum

                ________________________________
                it's all about saving money, not students...

                On Mar 13, 2013, at 9:48 AM, Deborah Shepherd wrote:

                > That article's premise sounds like an excuse for not hiring enough faculty
                > on the campuses. Instead of striving to offer enough sections of crucial
                > courses at the institution, the Legislature says that the college must
                > simply accept substitute education from for-profit and whatever other
                > sources. Result: accommodating students (inadequately) without raising
                > state revenues for education. And in reading further through the article,
                > that appears to be what the New York Times journalist thinks, too. I expect
                > we'll be hearing about this in other states soon. Anybody read this
                > differently?
                >
                > Deborah
                >
                > On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 10:12 AM, bdlqvcc > wrote:
                >
                >> **
                >>

                >> Was at a conference yesterday and spoke with a small lunch-group around
                >> questions relating to changes in higher ed that may be unfolding before us.
                >> Growth of online learning (courses or otherwise), "free" online courses,
                >> for-profit "learning" businesses etc. seem to be converging to change the
                >> face of what we know as our current institutions and their operation.
                >> Today's news adds another piece:
                >>

                >> http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/13/education/california-bill-would-force-colleges-to-honor-online-classes.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
                >>
                >> Brian

                This message was scanned by CCM's Spam Filter and is believed to be clean.

              • mlewine
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 13, 2013
                  Hi...I really miss my sacc family...I want to come to austin but willnot be able to plan until a week or so before it...sally's pd is so volatile we never know...hope I or we can be there. Love u all...well most of u...
                  :-)

                  Sent from my Galaxy S®III