Anthro Outreach - AAA Chicago 2013

  • lauratgonzalez
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 5, 2013
      I wanted to send out this call for participation once again, as we are developing our team of consultants to work with the AAA in this initiative. Please contact me at lagonzal@... if you would like to join other teaching anthropologists to advise or participate in whatever capacity.

      Thanks,
      Laura

      *****************

      We have been invited (as SACC) to help develop an initiative for the
      Chicago AAA meeting in 2013. It sounds very exciting to me, as it
      entails working with Chicago Public Schools and introducing them to
      anthropology.

      I would like to form a working group to come up with some ideas for how
      SACC might best be involved, and what we can offer. The full email from
      Alaka and Dana-Ain, leaders of the initiative, is below. Please contact
      me or Tim Sullivan (tsullivan@...) if you would like to get
      involved either in the planning or by participating as a presenter in
      the schools during the Chicago meeting. Anthropologists from all fields
      are welcome.

      Laura
      Past-President

      ***
      I (Alaka Wali) am writing to you as Co-Chair, together with Dana-Ain
      Davis, of the AAA 2013 annual meeting which will be held in Chicago,
      November 20-24.

      We are very excited about a new initiative which we propose to organize
      in conjunction with the meeting, and which we have titled:
      "Anthropologists Back to School". We are proposing to provide the
      opportunity for anthropologists attending the meetings to meet with
      students from Chicago Public Schools, and getting them excited about
      some dimension of anthropology.

      The idea is that here in Chicago, we would arrange for multiple sites
      (most would be museums, but some of the local anthro. departments also
      want to be a site), where students would come on a "field trip", and
      then engage with the anthropologists.

      We are in the very beginning stages of planning and coordination, but we
      really hope that your sections or organizations will be "front and
      center" so to speak in working on this.

      Dana-Ain and I would appreciate any ideas you would have on

      --content/themes
      -- organization/logistics
      -- specific role for your section

      We are also wondering if your sections (or members of the sections) are
      working on K-12 anthropology curriculum which might tie into this
      initiative or as a follow-up?

      We look forward to hearing from you!

      regards,
      Alaka and Dana-Ain