Sahlins resigns from the national academy of sciences

  • frank lagana
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2013
      In case anyone hasn't seen this,

      http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2013/02/25/prominent-anthropologist-resigns-protest-national-academy-sciences

      Frank

    • Lynch, Brian M
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 2, 2013
        Sure hope this gets wide distribution and discussion. I have been impressed with Sahlins' work since my undergrad days in the 1970's and am quite interested to read about this angle on things that bring together current discussions around Chagnon, and ongoing issues of anthropology's relations with militarism.

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 2, 2013
          It has completely taken over the blogosphere and twitterverse... I never actually imagined myself saying those words without irony.

          See John Hawks, Jonathan Marks and Barbara King's comments on the web for example. Just 'Google' it, as they say.

          Laura

          Sent from my iPhone

          On Mar 2, 2013, at 11:25 AM, "Lynch, Brian M" <blynch@...> wrote:

          > Sure hope this gets wide distribution and discussion. I have been impressed with Sahlins' work since my undergrad days in the 1970's and am quite interested to read about this angle on things that bring together current discussions around Chagnon, and ongoing issues of anthropology's relations with militarism.
          >

          > ________________________________

        • Nina Brown
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 2, 2013
            That commentary by Jonathan Marks is a work of art. I think it should be
            used in classes where Chagnon is taught (I assign Chagnon's Yanomamo every
            semester).

            http://anthropomics.blogspot.com/2013/03/the-times-it-is-outragin.html

            Nina

            [SACC-L@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SACC-L%40yahoogroups.com> ] on behalf of
            frank lagana [frank11217@... <mailto:frank11217%40gmail.com> ]

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 2, 2013
              That is a magnificent post. Thanks for passing on the link.

              From: SACC-L@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SACC-L%40yahoogroups.com>
              It has completely taken over the blogosphere and twitterverse... I never
              actually imagined myself saying those words without irony.

              See John Hawks, Jonathan Marks and Barbara King's comments on the web for
              example. Just 'Google' it, as they say.

              Laura

              Sent from my iPhone

              On Mar 2, 2013, at 11:25 AM, "Lynch, Brian M" blynch@...
              <mailto:blynch%40qvcc.commnet.edu>
              > wrote:

              > Sure hope this gets wide distribution and discussion. I have been
              impressed with Sahlins' work since my undergrad days in the 1970's and am
              quite interested to read about this angle on things that bring together
              current discussions around Chagnon, and ongoing issues of anthropology's
              relations with militarism.

              > ________________________________

            • Tim Sullivan
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 4, 2013