Re: [SACC-L] The real poop ...

  • Andrew Petto
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 24, 2013
      Well, Luckenbach obviously never measured the stuff directly; just took
      an estimate from someone else.

      This same thing happened in our A&P text, where the author wrote that
      the skin is 15% of body weight. Students thought that was amazing; how
      did he get that? So, I did a quick calculation ... use a nomogram that
      estimates surface area from height and weight; apply an average of 2mm
      thickness, so we can measure the volume; then the density of skin on
      average is 1.07g/cc and so we get ... 5.1%!!!

      So, back and forth, and finally an email to the author who admits to
      reading it somewhere and thinking it would make a nice lead-in to the
      chapter. At least agreed to research it and change it for the next edition.

      Talk about a teachable moment.

      Anj

      --

      Andrew J Petto, PhD