Re: [SACC-L] The real poop ...

  • kent morris
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 24, 2013
      I discuss shit all the time--ever heard of two coils?

    • Andrew Petto
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 24, 2013
        Well, Luckenbach obviously never measured the stuff directly; just took
        an estimate from someone else.

        This same thing happened in our A&P text, where the author wrote that
        the skin is 15% of body weight. Students thought that was amazing; how
        did he get that? So, I did a quick calculation ... use a nomogram that
        estimates surface area from height and weight; apply an average of 2mm
        thickness, so we can measure the volume; then the density of skin on
        average is 1.07g/cc and so we get ... 5.1%!!!

        So, back and forth, and finally an email to the author who admits to
        reading it somewhere and thinking it would make a nice lead-in to the
        chapter. At least agreed to research it and change it for the next edition.

        Talk about a teachable moment.

        Anj