The real poop ...

  • Andrew Petto
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 24, 2013
      A lot of traffic here on feces! Well, research that I did for a book
      chapter tells me this:

      1. The average adult rectum CAN hold about 500cc of waste.
      2. The average density of human feces is just about 1g/cc (average is
      about 0.96 --- 20 healthy volunteers, male and female, collecting
      24-hour stool samples over a 5-week period ... now THAT is dedication);
      with an average of about 134cc per movement (131 for females; 138 for
      males ... go ahead and make the obvious joke).
      (Source: J.B.WYMAN, K.W.HEATON, A.P.MANNING,AND A.C.B.WICKS. 1978.
      Variability of colonic function in healthy subjects Gut 1978 19:146-150.)

      BTW, apparently toilet manufacturers use the standard of 250g of solid
      material per flush, but the EPA apparently has upped the ante to 350g
      (http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2012-04/27/maximum-performance-soya-poop).

      So, I dunno where the rumor started that we drop several pounds of this
      stuff a day, but at 134g per dump, we are looking at about 0.3 pounds
      per day in this study (where most people reported only 1 BM daily ...
      though there were some with up to 2, the maximum was about 2/3 pounds);
      there is, of course a fair amount of variability (what amazed the
      researchers in this study the most was how consistent the composition of
      the stool was regardless of the size, frequency, transit time, and so on.

      And just when you thought THAT was the worst job in the world, try this
      one:
      Larauche M, Kiank C, Tache Y. 2009. Corticotropin releasing factor
      signaling in colon and ileum: regulation by stress and
      pathophysiological implications. /Journal of Physiology and
      Pharmacology/ 60:33--46.
      Hidden in the scientific jargon in the title is the real poop on the
      study: trying to scare the crap out of rats ... literally. Stress
      hormones trigger cells in the large intestine to release feces.

      Anj

      --

      Andrew J Petto, PhD
      Senior Lecturer

      Could you be a teacher?

    • kent morris
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 24, 2013
        people, I think ethics is more important than shit, although the two aren't necessarily mutually exclusive...OK, I'll let you back to the Oscars...

      • Bob Muckle
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 24, 2013
          Andrew,

          Wow, that is impressive research on feces.

          The rumor of several pounds per day per person started with my most recent column for 'Anthropology News'. The source is a document a university professor wrote for his students on the nature of faeces. http://www.soe.uoguelph.ca/webfiles/wjames/homepage/teaching/wjfecalmatters.html I don't know, but presume, it was for a course in biochemistry or something like that.

          Other estimates I found in other sources are much closer to what you found as well, such as "about 100 grams" and "about half of pounds".

          As I mentioned in my column, I think we are in a new era where it is okay to discuss feces. The taboo may not be broken, but it is bending.

          And talking about them really is important. It is a step towards helping solving the global sanitation crisis. Almost 3 billion people in the world do not have access to acceptable sanitation facilities; which of course leads to the spread of disease. I recall reading somewhere a week or so ago that the UN is now considering access to proper sanition of more significance than climate change.

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 24, 2013
            I discuss shit all the time--ever heard of two coils?

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 24, 2013
              Well, Luckenbach obviously never measured the stuff directly; just took
              an estimate from someone else.

              This same thing happened in our A&P text, where the author wrote that
              the skin is 15% of body weight. Students thought that was amazing; how
              did he get that? So, I did a quick calculation ... use a nomogram that
              estimates surface area from height and weight; apply an average of 2mm
              thickness, so we can measure the volume; then the density of skin on
              average is 1.07g/cc and so we get ... 5.1%!!!

              So, back and forth, and finally an email to the author who admits to
              reading it somewhere and thinking it would make a nice lead-in to the
              chapter. At least agreed to research it and change it for the next edition.

              Talk about a teachable moment.

              Anj