Re: [SACC-L] Re: Teaching Sociology in North Carolina CC: Anthropology, Inc.

  • Anthropmor
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 24, 2013
      That is good news, but those of us who favor the 4 field approach always have to deal with partisan bickering - we ALL have to support this, and CRM and Language institutes and human biology...as I know you all ready know, sir.
      Mike Pavlik

      Perhaps this month's Atlantic magazine (March 2013) is doing some advertising
      or us. It has a fascinating article titled "Anthropology, Inc." that describes
      ow companies are contracting with anthropologists and those with
      nthropological training to employ the ethnographic

      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 24, 2013
        To what extent must anthropologists who feel bound to our code of ethics exercise caution when dealing with the business world?

        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 24, 2013
          In Minnesota CC’s, General Sociology is a required course for Nursing, Criminal Justice, and some other major programs. I am not aware of any program that gives similar credit for taking Cultural Anthropology (our many campuses rarely if ever taught a single 4-field course). The State does seem to require that students wishing to get licensed to teach K-12 needed a Cultural Anthro course (at least that’s why my online CA courses were filled with off-campus students), but that is not much compared to the traffic heading over to General Sociology due to graduation requirements.

          f this is anthropology as a discipline not advertising itself well. Perhaps old
          otions of anthropology as only study the "exotic tribal" people still hold? I
          ean, after all, anthropologists for the past 30 years have studied in urban
          reas, deal with social problems, diversity issues, power issues, etc.! I mean,
          here doesn't seem to be any discipline-related reason why sociology should be
          o much bigger in CCs than anthropology

          Anthropology not advertising itself is without a doubt true; the movement to the periphery of the discipline is w/o a doubt also part of it; there is also a horrifying lack of support within the discipline- people have to want to build departments, have students exploring a series of classes....
          Mike Pavlik

          Thanks to everyone who replied. I know that in California community colleges,
          hey have something like a course equivalency process whereby someone can
          emonstrate through say their own research that they have done enough to be
          redentialed to teach particular classes. For instance, a friend of my who also
          as a PhD in anthropology teachers in the intercultural studies department at a
          alifornia community college and she was able to do that by showing her
          ualifying exams and PhD research which was on race and ethnicity relations. I
          onder if something like course equivalencies are available in North Carolina.
          It's a shame that anthropology does not attract more students, at least in the
          egion of North Carolina where I'm at (Raleigh-Durham). Anthropology programs in