Reminder: Call For Papers

  • <dianne.chidester@...>
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 22, 2013
      Just a reminder! If you have any questions, please contact me! --
      Dianne

      The Society for Anthropology in Community Colleges (SACC) is holding its
      2013 annual meeting in Austin, TX. The theme of the meeting is
      "Anthropology Unlimited: New Rules/Roles for Teaching Anthropology."

      Proposals for paper presentations on this any topic relating to
      anthropology are welcome. Of particular interest are presentations on
      teaching anthropology.

      Paper presentations are tentatively scheduled for 15 minutes. Abstracts
      should be no longer than 125 words and must be received no later than
      February 28, 2013. Make sure to include your institutional affiliation
      and contact information with your abstract.

      Abstracts should be sent to Dianne Chidester, preferably via email at
      Dianne.chidester@... . Paper abstracts, if necessary, may be
      sent to Dianne Chidester, Greenville Technical College, Behavioral &
      Social Sciences, MS 1042, P.O. Box 5616, Greenville, SC 29606-5616.

      Notification of acceptance or rejection of proposals will be completed
      by March 8, 2013. No proposal will be accepted for final inclusion in
      the program until the program chair receives confirmation from the AAA,
      prior to March 8, 2013, that the conference registration fees have been
      paid.

      Dianne Lynn Chidester
      Anthropology & Sociology
      Greenville Technical College
      506 S. Pleasantburg Dr.
      Greenville, SC 29607

      864-250-8729 (office)

    • Carol Hayman
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 28, 2013
        Dear Dianne,
        Here is the submission of my abstract for the annual meeting.
        My affiliation is with Austin Community College. I have paid my
        registration and received an email receipt.
        Contact Information
        Name: Carol Hayman
        Address: 1001 Eason St. Austin, TX 78703
        Phone: 512-477-3099 home 512-784-2498 cell
        Email: chayman@...

        Artisanal Gold Mining in Peru

        Artisanal gold mining is one of the world�s worst pollution problems. Small
        scale mining exposes miners, their families, and their domestic animals to
        mercury, which is a potent neurotoxin, and other toxic materials which are
        released into the environment. The miners live in impoverished communities
        and the gold is an important source of income. The Peruvian Amazon is
        known for its informal gold mining which damages the river system, but it
        also occurs in backyard ore-processing factories near tourist areas like
        the Nazca lines. The ore is crushed and turned into an amalgam with
        mercury, which is burned off. The mercury vapor is breathed in by the
        extractors and settles on houses and the nearby soil and water sources.

        --

        Carol Hayman
        Professor of Anthropology

      • kent morris
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 28, 2013
          Did anybody get my question regarding to what extent anthropologists who feel
          bound by the AAA Code of Ethics should exercise caution regarding contemplating
          employment with the business/corporate world?

          ________________________________

          --

          Carol Hayman
          Professor of Anthropology

        • Anthropmor
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 28, 2013
            anybody get my question regarding to what extent anthropologists who feel
            bound by the AAA Code of Ethics should exercise caution regarding contemplating
            employment with the business/corporate world

            yes...but my employment outside of academics is not anthropological - I thought someone with that kind of experience should answr you.
            Mike Pavlik

            --

            Carol Hayman
            Professor of Anthropology